prescription charges England

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was told that prescription changes have change in England from over 60 to retirement age 66
so people in England who do not currently pay as over 60 , but less than 66 will as of 1st Jan 22 pay prescription charges , UNLESS exempt and then need a certificate.
i used to have a medical exemption, but did not renew as was over 60 , looks like i need to re-apply

Cant find specific details to say it has been implemented or if still in discussion

Sponsored Links
The official NHS site still says that prescriptions and eye tests are free for people over 60.

thanks, yes that what I read , and then some vague news articles saying it is changing
I guess they did not implement the change then .......

with this government i would not be surprised if the changes went unnoticed.

Like inheritance Tax freeze to 2026

This only applies to people in England. If you move to a place that does not have a Conservative government they are free.

I think they changed from "your retirement age" to "retirement age of a woman of your age" which is how men started getting free scripts at 60.

but the women's state pension age has been creeping up ever since and the qualifying age is now 66 and is still increasing.

In England, except London, you can still apply for a free bus pass when you reach your state pension age, currently 66.

The English government has proposed increasing the free prescription age to 66 but I don't think a date has been announced. It's possible that, to make themselves popular with the over-60's, they will change their minds.

You could still get a "season ticket" which is better value if you need more than about one a month

"There are 2 PPC options to choose from:
1. The 3-month PPC costs £30.25 and will save you money if you need more than 3 prescribed items in 3 months.
3. The 12-month PPC costs £108.10 and will save you money if you need more than 11 prescribed items in a year."

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/pre...th-a-prescription-prepayment-certificate-ppc/

Or you could move out of England.
Prescriptions are free of charge in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
do you have a link where it says its implemented in UK....

...The English government has proposed increasing the free prescription age to 66 but I don't think a date has been announced. It's possible that, to make themselves popular with the over-60's, they will change their minds.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...-charge-exemptions-with-the-state-pension-age

"The department will collate and consider all responses to this consultation and will make a recommendation to the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, who will make a decision about whether to implement the proposed changes, and if so, about which of the options set out in this consultation will be implemented. The outcome of the consultation will usually be published within three months of the consultation closing date."

"Closed consultation
Updated 2 September 2021"

and no outcome published
2-sep + 3mths 2-Dec

again thats all the info i have seen is that its a proposal and not yet implemented

perhaps there's an election coming up or Boris is scared when he sees how unpopular he is.

maybe..

I have asked Drs for a renewed exemption certificate, may as well start the ball running again !!!!!!!!
Although our drs is pretty poor, so i suspect that may take a while anyway.....

i didnt even know it was under consideration until a friend whatsapp me happy new year + the info, nolink

The cost is due to go up this year too.

Now I'm on permanent prescriptions methinks it's time for a yearly prepayment certificate.

If you are prescribed something that the body should produce but doesn't, your prescription will be free. I know 2 people with thyroid problems, one over active, one under active. The under active one gets their prescriptions free, not just the thyroid tablets- everything. I knew someone who was prescribes artificial saliva, that was free as well.

Thanks , i understand the health conditions which provide free prescriptions, which do apply to me anyway, just need to re-appy for the certificate/card - the question was if the 60 age had been raised to 66 for non exempt patients

Sponsored Links
Back