NHS and prescriptions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not posted on here for a while but wanted to get an opinion on the below before I receive a phone call at some point. I wont go into specifics because its irrelevant.
What do you think of this scenario folks.
Called "out of hours" non emergency service in Scotland on Saturday evening because I was feeling unwell. Not self inflicted I might add.
Got an appointment for 11:40 pm.
Arrived on time and was examened at 01:20am by a doctor. Not a problem, they are busy.
Doctor prescribed 2 doses of a drug to be take a week apart sent directly to Boots pharmacy as they were open on Sunday.
Boots said they had not received the prescription yet but they did not have it in stock anyway. They said they would cancel the prescription as "not picked up" but go to Morrisons pharmacy tomorrow and explain. They have access to suppliers we do not and the would fulfil it anyway even without a prescription due to our known supply issues.
Went to Morrison's pharmacy as instructed and the said it would take 7 days to process as they would need to contact the surgery for a prescription.
I took it upon my self to purchase the first dose online without prescription to save time. I would not normally do this.
I contacted my surgery to get the second dose. They said I would need to contact "out of hours" as it was them who wrote the prescription.
Contacted "out of hours" and they said I should contact my surgery......... Also they said why don't you just buy it online instead as it would be quicker.
While I have no problem paying for the drugs I require at around £160 I mentioned that I was a bit uncomfortable buying prescription drug online. They said but you bought the first dose online.
Yes I bought the first dose out of desperation.
To round up.
Basically the United Kingdom NHS are saying, you need the drug, we cant get it for you, the pharmacy's have no stock, go online and buy a prescription only medication online from whoever.
WHAT? why don't I just buy some illegal drugs from Bill and Bob while I am there?
I know from other folks that you can buy anything online but I would rather go through a qualified person if you don't mind.
Sorry if any one is called "Bill or Bob" it just came to mind.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
my experience is that stock levels of prescription drugs is very low these days.

recently my wife wanted some preservative free eye drops, but no pharmacy stocked them.

The way the system works is that when a Dr prescribes something, it goes onto the prescription system and can be picked up any pharmacy. I believe even if a pharmacy has been nominated, that pharmacy can put the prescription back onto the system and can be issued at another place

Not in Scotland apparently.
Once sent electronically to a particular pharmacy (since covid) it is locked to that pharamcy. I think they were trying to reduce traffic to the practice. There is now no paper copy.
I used to pick up the paper copy from my practice but now it goes direct to your nominated pharmacy.

I pick up my paper copy in SW Scotland and take it to any pharmacy. My wifes is electronic because she asked for that.

I have also noticed that not everything is in stock and have to return a few days later.

Sponsored Links
The way the system works is that when a Dr prescribes something, it goes onto the prescription system and can be picked up any pharmacy. I believe even if a pharmacy has been nominated, that pharmacy can put the prescription back onto the system and can be issued at another place

That is what I recently found out.

my experience is that stock levels of prescription drugs is very low these days.

I've been chasing a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, for months now, popping into any chemist shop I have been near to ask if they have stock. It used to be commonly stocked on the shelves, but not now, none seem to have any stock at all.

Blimey I used to into the local chemist for Hydrogen peroxide for my chemistry set when I was 11 and was sold it no problem. 40 tears ago.

I've been chasing a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, for months now, popping into any chemist shop I have been near to ask if they have stock. It used to be commonly stocked on the shelves, but not now, none seem to have any stock at all.
Same here, according to our local tesco pharmacist its a supplier problem, great stuff hydrogen peroxide, always handy to have in the house.

If anyone is wondering I will share. I don't want to because its a bit embarrassing (for my pal) but for others that might come across it.
My pal............ contracted Scabies.
He does not know how but he did.
No one has slept in his bed for 2 years.
The only thing he can think of he has been rolling around in soil doing a bit of landscaping. He is a very hygienic chap.
Its a birch to get rid of even if you live alone.
Below is the cure.

Wash everything at 50 deg or above.
Anything that cant be washed put in tied black bags for 3 days.
Sterilise everything you are going to touch for the next 3 days.
Hoover and Dettol every hard and soft surface you are going to contact in the next 3 days.
Do the first personal treatment (Permethrin Cream 5% w/w ointment everywhere)
Move to another bedroom that has not been used for 3 days.
Repeat all of the above after 7 days and do the 2nd personal treatment.
Move back to your original bed.
Just as a precaution move back to the spare bed after 3 days.
then wash everything at 50 deg or above.
Back to normal.

It may sound long winded but these are tuff Feckers.

Don tell my Pal about this post.

I think if you have kids it would be a lot harder.

Where I live in Wales the only option is the doctors own pharmacy, and still they run out, even when they know months in advance one is going to need things, on repeat prescriptions.

Doesn't the hospital have a pharmacy?

All my local ones do.

As a minor thing, the pharmacies aren't part of the NHS. They're private companies contracted in.

The NHS might be responsible for the system they use to manage prescriptions and rules about paper forms but I don't know that system at all.

Where I live in Wales the only option is the doctors own pharmacy, and still they run out, even when they know months in advance one is going to need things, on repeat prescriptions.
Couldn't one of the online pharmacies help?

Couldn't one of the online pharmacies help?

I use an online one, for my regular prescriptions. They are not perfect, by any means - difficult to communicate with, often late deliveries, but if you can tolerate that - it can make life easier. They are able to presort your daily meds, in pouches, ready for you to use. As they deal with a much larger bulk quantities of meds, their supply chains seem better.

Sponsored Links
Back