Prescription meds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on 6/7 pills per day, of 5 or 6 varieties and until now, I have ordered via the surgery online app, then taken a trip to the chemists to collect them. Each week, on a Sunday I fill up a plastic pill organiser, with meds for the morning, meds for the evening, followed by double checking I have got it right - it's quite a fiddly process opening all the blister packs and putting them in the right order, plus chasing them on the carpet when I drop one of them.

I was aware you could ask the chemist to do the organising, but they have enough to do and I assume it will be a manual process, I was also aware you could use an online service to get them delivered to your door, to sort yourself into doses.

What I didn't know, probably because it is new, was that there was an online service that offered them pre-sorted, into pouches or blister packs, split into up to four per day. I only split them into two, because I need to take one pill twice in the day, with another only taken alternate days.

When i initially enquired, they said their pack machine would not be able to deal with the alternate day pill, they would have to just add that in the box for me to manually sort out, but they arrived this morning with them pre-sorted.

I though I had requested pouches, like a series of tear off plastic bags, in a continuous roll, contained in a box, so quite compact. What actually turned up was the blister pack version - A weeks supply in a card container about the size of large paperback, with see through blisters, 4 per day x 7 days x 8 weeks supply. They will only pre-sort them, if you need more than 4 meds per day.

I was expecting mix ups, because first they had decided one of the meds conflicted with another - which I have been taking for a couple of years, so had to be revised. Then at the last minute the doctor revised another med, doubling the dose, but failed to realise more would be needed. Until I spotted the error and emailed the doctor to revise the prescription and asked her to correct it with the supplier urgently.

They have been absolutely excellent to deal with, really on the ball in answering enquiries, machine sorted and sent out yesterday via DPD 24 hour and delivered this morning.

If anyone else fancies giving them a try, they are called simpleonlinepharmacy.

Sponsored Links
I used to take as many as around 60 a day when my CKD was first diagnosed. Obviously various amounts of different meds, for example, 12 x 5mg steroid tablets, 4 of the same diuretic tablets spaced through the day etc. I was not told to divide the steroids over an 18hr period so for about the first month I was like Billy Wizz from the comic on speed! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Problem was, I was getting by on about 2 hours sleep a night, couldn't sit or stand still and my brain was functioning at a high speed rate which meant I also spoke very fast. Had a check up with the GP and he noticed my reactions so questioned me how I was taking the pills. Thats when he showed me what he had written on the prescription but the pharmacy had omitted to write it on the label or tell me.
After that I bought a small pill organiser and sorted them into quantities and times per day. Took nearly 3 months to work the steroids out of my system to the acceptable level where I was almost back to normal functioning times though still a bit quick.
For the past 5-6 years I've only been taking 2 tablets per day first thing in the morning. Sadly I have come out of remission and now have to take another tablet, (brand name Forxiga, cannot spell or pronounce the medical name as I don't have them to hand), but this one has some nasty side effects but outweighed by the benefits. Been advised to now wear an SOS bracelet and I have to notify OH in work of my condition so they can set up a PMP, (Personal Monitoring Policy), so should I 'take a turn for the worse', any First Aider will know what to do and not make the mistake of thinking it is something else such as diabetes and give me the wrong treatment.

My wife works in a pharmacy and she talks about these day sets every now and again, along the lines of they do take along time to sort out and impatient customers arrive a couple of hours after having requested the prescription demanding them, not realising that you have to give 48 hours notice for one.

Yes the SOS bracelet was something a first aider is trained to look for when giving a check, around the wrist and neck.
Mine is in a draw somewhere , not worn it for about 40 years but I have it for when I get another condition where it would be good to have.

I used to take as many as around 60 a day when my CKD was first diagnosed.

Wow, that's an awful lot. I'm CKD4 and all I do for that is have an injection every four weeks, to encourage production of iron, then around every 6 months the hospital call me in for an infusion of iron, along with blood tests to see how things are going. The daily meds are just to control my high BP and prevent acid reflux, which I didn't even know I suffered, from eating away my oesophagus.

Sponsored Links
Wow, that's an awful lot. I'm CKD4 and all I do for that is have an injection every four weeks, to encourage production of iron, then around every 6 months the hospital call me in for an infusion of iron, along with blood tests to see how things are going. The daily meds are just to control my high BP and prevent acid reflux, which I didn't even know I suffered, from eating away my oesophagus.

Sorry to hear you are stage 4 Harry. Do you think it may be worth mentioning this Forxiga to your GP?
Two of my sisters have the problem of too much iron and have to have venesection every couple of months to lower their iron levels. Thankfully I, and the rest of my siblings, have tested negative for heamotomachrosis(sp).

Sorry to hear you are stage 4 Harry. Do you think it may be worth mentioning this Forxiga to your GP?
Two of my sisters have the problem of too much iron and have to have venesection every couple of months to lower their iron levels. Thankfully I, and the rest of my siblings, have tested negative for heamotomachrosis(sp).

Not the GP, an hospital consultant is dealing with my CHD and via the blood samples and phone appointments - they tell me it is stable. My next phone appointment from the consultant is in the next two weeks, so I will email before hand and mention the Forxiga.

The once every four week injection is Aranesp. That is delivered to me by a company, four syringes at a time, to keep in my fridge, then I just make an appointment at the GP's to inject it every fourth Wednesday. They started me on 80, found I needed more, so they upped it to 100, then rang me to say I was responding too well, so only have it injected every five weeks - which is where I am at the moment with just one 100 in the fridge to go. The next delivery will be 4x 80's.

It doesn't really bother much, I'm just a bit lacking in stamina - if I expend energy too quickly, I find I have to stop and let the oxygen levels in my blood catch up with my needs. Then every six months or so, when they decide I need it, I get a call to go to hospital for an intravenous iron top up. I arrive there walking slowly to avoid having to stop and rest, then an hour later come out going at full speed, supercharged :)

My wife works in a pharmacy and she talks about these day sets every now and again, along the lines of they do take along time to sort out and impatient customers arrive a couple of hours after having requested the prescription demanding them, not realising that you have to give 48 hours notice for one.

I can imagine they do and it is a very manual process, needing double checking for each set made up. I found it a bit of a task, just making my own same pill sets up each week, so I was glad to find this online automated mechanical process.

God blessed me with good health and I take no regular medications.
However, if in the past I had listened to doctors, I would be on a dozen pills a day now.
The biggest business being "pain management" instead of finding the source of the pain and deal with it.
I suffered back pain for most of my life, until I found an orthopedic surgeon who explained to me how pain works and how to deal with it.
That was 20 years ago.
Since then, I had acute back pain, but it only lasts a couple of days and I know how to deal with it.
Moral of the story: most pill takers might only need a fraction of what is prescribed to them.
Not my words, that same orthopedic surgeon's words.

Harry, I Take it you have prescription prepayment certificate? does that work with the online service?
What did you have to pay for? delivery?

I can mention this website to er indoors as she may want to send a few of her regular complainers customers there :)

A direct link in case anyone wants it: https://nhs.simpleonlinepharmacy.co.uk/dosette-box

Harry, I Take it you have prescription prepayment certificate? does that work with the online service?
What did you have to pay for? delivery?

I can mention this website to er indoors as she may want to send a few of her regular complainers customers there :)

A direct link in case anyone wants it: https://nhs.simpleonlinepharmacy.co.uk/dosette-box

My prescription are free, based on age, but they have a facility to pay, where payment is required - so I would imagine they can cope with a prepayment cert.. It's easy to ring them, they are quick to answer and quick to reply to email too.

Delivery is free, I had nothing at all to pay for at all. I just had to provide DOB, name address and NHS number and surgery.

I got an impression that it is all very new and that they are not quite fully organised yet.

I'm not sure if it's the same firm, but a year or two ago I saw adverts for a company offering to sort out your meds and post them out ready sorted.

I used to take 50 tablets plus some gels and an injection everyday.

This number has since reduced to 36. Not sure if this service would be open to me!

Sponsored Links
Back