Pressure treated wood cupping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

wonder if anyone can help. I started doing some landscaping on my garden last year, doing raised beds etc. I got all my joints perfect, screwed into posts that are concreted in the ground. I have noticed this year certain areas the wood is cupped pretty bad. Placing them bark side forwards or backs didn’t help as they are cupping either way. Please see pics attached. Would a long screw straighten this at all?

Attachments

• 13B80D12-0221-413D-8C68-7B995565C765.jpeg
    13B80D12-0221-413D-8C68-7B995565C765.jpeg
    502.8 KB · Views: 309
  • D4517E8E-BF6C-4B94-B735-69A61A7A60F0.jpeg
    D4517E8E-BF6C-4B94-B735-69A61A7A60F0.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 275
Sponsored Links
I've had great success with these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-universal-ffi-frame-fixings-10-x-140mm-25-pack/24697
However, I ditch the plastic plug and drill a pilot hole where the screw shank is to go - but first I drill clearance through the cupped timber.
I appreciate that it isn't the best practice to screw into end grain, but the length of these things overcome that - they have also the advantage that you can tighten them with a 1/2" drive socket.
Two per corner should be fine.
John :)
Apologies if there is a link failure....Screwfix 24697.
J.

I've had great success with these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-universal-ffi-frame-fixings-10-x-140mm-25-pack/24697
However, I ditch the plastic plug and drill a pilot hole where the screw shank is to go - but first I drill clearance through the cupped timber.
I appreciate that it isn't the best practice to screw into end grain, but the length of these things overcome that - they have also the advantage that you can tighten them with a 1/2" drive socket.
Two per corner should be fine.
John :)
Apologies if there is a link failure....Screwfix 24697.
J.

Link puts you in a queue but if you go direct to SF site and just put in Johns code number it comes up instantly.

Sponsored Links
They are thick 50mm boards. Half thickness of a sleeper. Would a screw be able to tighten these. John what thickness wood have you had success with please?

I've used these things for fairly heavy duty stuff, here's something to ponder.
The entire fixing is 175mm long, and is based around 10mm diameter carbon steel which is plated to prevent rusting (looks like cadmium to me). I discard the plastic plug as we are going into timber.
The hexagonal head is 13mm which is a handy socket size, either 3/8" or 1/2".
The fixing has 110mm of unthreaded shank - then the thread starts for the rest (60mm).
So - if you want the hex head visible, drill through both boards at around 8mm. continue this drilling into the second timber, say another 50mm or as far as the drill will reach.
Now, drill the first timber only at 10.5 - clearance for the shank of the fixing. Locate the fixing with a socket spanner, don't fully tighten until the other one is in too.
If you want the screw head to be hidden, drill a 20mm hole with a flat bit for 15mm or whatever to form a counterbore, follow with the 8mm tapping size and then finally with the 10.5 clearance drill.
Maybe you could have a practice run first? Either way, be lucky! Treat all of the timber heavily - wet ground will finish it off sooner than you think!
John:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back