Preventing/delaying installation of Windows Updates

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way (or is there any way) of preventing or delaying the installation of Windows 10 Updates?

I have read of a means of preventing (actually delaying - Windows seems to know how to overcome this!) the download of updates, but I'm more concerned about their installation.

Just today, my wife was about to give a lecture using Powerpoint, only to find that Windows decided to begin installation of some updates. Knowing that this procedure can often be very protracted, she was panicking. Luckily, it finished just in time. I believe that installation can take place in the background but for some reason (I wasn't there) she was unable to make use of the Powerpoint file. Perhaps it was a forced re-start.

It annoys me that Microsoft have decided to take control of this aspect of our computers. What's more, things have become even worse since the infamous Anniversary Update (which took a couple of hours on my computer). I am not averse to Windows Updates. In theory, at least, they should improve the OS. However, my wife's experience is an example of how WE should have ultimate control of our computers, not Microsoft.

I cannot see any feasible objection on Microsoft's part to our choosing when updates are installed. Is there a way?

Sponsored Links
at times I feel like putting a hammer through my computer too, mine too was forced updated at a very crucial moment when i was desperately trying to rescue a bad HD from another computer, first it was not reading it through an IDe to USB interface device, but eventually somehow it managed to open the contents of that HD, and I was in the middle of copying files from that faulty HD to my laptop, suddenly windows 10 update forced itself through despite my umpteen number of previous attempts to thwart it off, and then it wanted to shut down and restart, I was horrified as I had no idea if the contents of my other computer's broken HD had been copied fully or not and every chance it may not read again after a restart.

Two days ago there was an update, not sure if it was windows update as it happened so fast before I could read, and now every time I start it, I get this dialogue box drop in the middle of my screen and I have to cross it out 5 times before I can get rid of from the screen and same again when shutting down my computer.

absolutely joke!

You'll have to google the exact KB number, but the little window that opens to tell you upgrade to win X was installed as part of an update. loook up which KB it is, uninstall the update in the computer settings, job done.

Nozzle

You'll have to google the exact KB number, but the little window that opens to tell you upgrade to win X was installed as part of an update. loook up which KB it is, uninstall the update in the computer settings, job done.

Nozzle
You are talking Donald Trump here, I knew if he got in KGB would be back, is KB a different SS organisation?

Sponsored Links
An OS is not necessarily 'easy' to administer... Until you know how - via reading up or being told how to.
How many peeps read where it says ("Change active hours") you can set the time when an auto - restart following updates could be disadvantageous ?

"...This tutorial will show you how to avoid Windows Update automatically installing updates and restarting during active hours on your Windows 10 PC..."
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/46468-windows-update-active-hours-change-windows-10-a.html

Also see "Restart options".
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/56082-windows-update-use-custom-restart-time-windows-10-a.html

-0-

Thanks Empip. I was aware of that 'active hours' facility, but had forgotten about it.

That option should be just the job for my wife. As 12 hours is the maximum 'active hours' time, she could set 0900 to 2100 which will more than cover the time she is at work, even if working late.

I'll tell her about that when she's finished doing some 'out of hours' work. Yes, honestly. At quarter past midnight! :rolleyes:

Windows 10 is like death, you can't hide from it forever, sooner or later it will catch up with you, so might as well get it done with and over, I am now using it and slowly becoming used to it, it will probably take me a year or two to get somewhere when guess what, Microsoft may launch new Windows version called Windows Trump.

Windows Clinton, no that wouldn't go too far. Windows Trump it is.

Don't forget :-
"Restart Options'
Use a custom restart time.
When a restart is scheduled, this option is available to temporarily override active hours and schedule a custom time to finish installing the current update(s). Make sure that your device is plugged in at the scheduled time."

If you type into the Cortana search box 'about' without apostrophe, click on 'About your PC system settings'
You will see version and build numbers.

Note these, then look here :-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history
Scroll down page to :- "Updates for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016" a little further for "
Updates for Windows 10 Version 1511" Further again for "Updates for Windows 10 (initial version released July 2015)"

My system 'about' reveals
Edition Win 10 Pro
Version 1607
OS Build 14393.447

So looking at the updates history list :- Version 1607, OS Build 14393.447 is not the latest, the .447 is related to KB3200970 Nov 8th, 2016.
Edit :- Actually .447 is the latest non mobile update.
Click on the Line containing the KB number - see what the update does.

Enough tools there to reveal what you have and maybe what you'll be getting !!
-0-

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back