Windows Update still running after three hours

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something strange is happening!

I've got out an old laptop that I use as a reserve machine in case of a disaster with my main laptop. It is running Windows 7.1. Periodically, I update various things including Windows Update.
Admittedly, the last time I ran Windows Update was back in June, but I now find it has been running for well over three hours and is showing no signs of finishing. All I see in 'Checking for updates' and the green ribbon beneath.

I know I've left it a long time, but I can't believe that there isn't something wrong. I did try re-starting the computer, but Windows Update just continued in the same way.

Any suggestions, please, as to why this is happening and what I should do?

Sponsored Links
Still running now. Something's definitely wrong.

I'm beginning to think the only way I might sort this out is to re-install Windows. There is a restore partition on the HD.

mines took hours about four or five
then spent as many hours again making it look as much like xp as i could :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thank you both. I've also had a suggestion from the Microsoft Community site that very long waits for updates could be due to the update site being overwhelmed with all these recent free W10 updates, which makes a lot of sense.
I'll maybe try again tomorrow and just leave the thing running overnight. If it still hasn't sorted itself out, I'll try the troubleshooter.

Yes, BigAll, I've heard other say that W10 isn't always what it's cracked up to be. It's certainly better if you're running W8 but if, like me, you're using W7 the 'upgrade' may not be all that important. I also remember XP which was one of their successes; then they came up with Vista!

Install Linux, problem solved :)
That has crossed my mind before. I have an even older laptop which I think may still work (although I'm sure the battery must be hopelessly flat by now) and, if I remember, runs on the dreaded Vista. I keep thinking I'll investigate Linux on that one day when I have time.

If Apple Macs weren't so bloody expensive I'd quite probably go with them. I understand that they can now run programmes designed for Windows as well.

Install Linux, problem solved :)
That has crossed my mind before. I have an even older laptop which I think may still work (although I'm sure the battery must be hopelessly flat by now) and, if I remember, runs on the dreaded Vista. I keep thinking I'll investigate Linux on that one day when I have time.

If Apple Macs weren't so bloody expensive I'd quite probably go with them. I understand that they can now run programmes designed for Windows as well.
The macs been capable of running windows for many years.

The macs been capable of running windows for many years.
In which case I might have to go with a Mac for my next laptop, depending on how the Windows saga pans out.
Although Macs can run Windows, is it possible for them to run both Windows and the Apple OS through choice?

You can have both and decide how much disk space to allocate each system. Then just restart to switch between operating systems. I've had Windows on one of my computers for years and thinking about deleting it now because I realised I never actually use it...

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
You can have both and decide how much disk space to allocate each system. Then just restart to switch between operating systems. I've had Windows on one of my computers for years and thinking about deleting it now because I realised I never actually use it...
If I should get a Mac I'd probably do the same, unless some of my older software won't work with the Apple OS.

Sponsored Links
Back