PRICING. CAN WE ALL AGREE ON HERE

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You are right there that a solicitor's indemnity is very expensive!

Thats because they are so careless at doing work for their clients, particularly property matters.

Where they are also careless but dont have to pay out is in litigation and personal injuries cases where their poor performance in court cannot be retrieved once the court has entered the judgement.

Plumber's dont need an office for customers to visit so thats one reason why they are cheaper than solicitors. But solicitors dont have to lift heavy items which need two people.

Tony

Thats because they are so careless at doing work for their clients, particularly property matters.

Very wild statement Mr G. My daughter is a commercial property solicitor.

The man below is well aware of the cost of lawyers.
It would be well interesting to see the actual charges by his lawyer and the calculation of the time actually spent/real cost.

Simon Singh.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article7098157.ece

Although Dr Singh’s lawyers will pursue the BCA (British chiropractic Association - who claim they can cure colic, asthma and other such ailments) for costs, he is likely to recover only 70 per cent of the £200,000 he has spent on defending himself.

This problem explains why so many aware people will not spill the beans on dodgy activities as they have to defend their "libellous" statement, whilst the dodgy element can just sit back and turn the screw. It's a simple case of "x has more money than y", so the court system will favour the richer element. He only scraped through as well. He was lucky they stopped their court attack or he would still be grinding down now...

Yes isn't fortunate that plumbers dont need an office or public liability employers liability tools van Gas safe register waste carriers licence ACS every 5 years FGA to buy service maintain ad nausium, thank **** we dont have oveheads like you or we would have to charge £200.00 an hour to stamp a letter as well :rolleyes:

If you charge £200.00 an hour to cover your staffs wages you have charged for it, but just worded it different so it "sounds" like you havent, jeez, we aint all fick flat cap woodbine smokin peasants, some of us can actually see past the pinstripe suit and dicky bow ;)

That would be an interesting point to know what the minimum costs on a five year averaged figure are just to have a gas safe plumber breaking even each month....

AS you mention, licences etc, refresher courses, bureaucracy etc.

I suppose could do the same for solicitors if they're interested lol.

If you charge £200.00 an hour to cover your staff's wages you have charged for it, but just worded it different so it "sounds" like you haven't.
You have missed the point.

Say you go along to a solicitor and have an hour's meeting with him. As a result of that meeting, he asks one of his staff to carry out some research, which takes a day or two. The solicitor then phones and spends 15 minutes explaining the result of the investigations and gives you his advice. Cost to you £250 (£200 for meeting, £50 for phone call). There is no additional charge for the time spent by the assistant. Those costs have to come out of the solicitors fees.

A plumber/heating engineer does not have those restrictions. He will visit the job and assess how long it will take and how many people it will require. He can then calculate the labour cost, add on the material cost, and give the customer a quote.

Well glad we all got that cleared up then, solicitors charge £50.00 for a phone call, mmmm, think I will have to increase my rates ;)

Solicitors = " professional" Regulated by govt. Plumbers - no such thing now :rolleyes: Plumbing + Heating Engineers " still " Artisans" UN regulated by Govt. or anyone but Gas Safe . Slagged + pilloried by TV programmes . . Yet another half- arsed lash up from Little Britain PLC - In the hands of the administrators :rolleyes:

I would expect any competent solicitor to know all the answers on normal matters he works on every day like divorce or property transfers.

In litigation, no solicitor would have an assistant working for a day or two without charging. Thats done as "obtaining counsel's opinion" and usually starts at £600 for 30 minutes work!

Any competent plumber or boiler engineer should know everything about the work he normally does.

Is this the 'LITTLE' Britain thread

basically any profession charges what it thinks it can get away with, 'usually' this is based on how common the skills are, and how hard they are to obtain and in high demand the price will be high the reverse will hold true.

Classic example of how things have changed for one profession is opticians

In the old days you had to go to the same old bloke/woman in their little shop,
pay for an eyetest (unless on NHS) and then pay a fortune for boring old specs.

De-regulation now you can often get a free eyetest, glasses are much cheaper

specsavers, D&A etc.

Fitting a boiler still requires some skill and knowledge and experience and demand is high for the service.

Now when someone invents a DIY boiler that anyone can stick on a system and that never breaksdown then the price for boiler engineers will dramatically fall.

Even solicitors are starting to feel the pinch now and will have to lower costs.

I am sorting out a 'Mirror' Will for me and the missus, I walked into a solicitors and was told £250+vat

Same thing on line £189 inc VAT!

Estate agents for example Now many people are selling their own houses on the internet

Now1% commission is quite common from estate agents when you want to sell

When people find an easier cheaper alternative they will normally take it, thus far boiler fitting doesnt 'YET' fit into that category but who knows.

As for the whole 'SNOBBISH' manual labour nonsense i guess Brain and Heart Surgery is technically manual labour as well isnt it

Classic example of how things have changed for one profession is opticians

De-regulation now you can often get a free eyetest, glasses are much cheaper

Thats a very bad example!

I had a a new pair of glasses from a cheap chain and they refused to agree there was any problem.

I took them to the adjoining shop and asked them to measure the lenses. They did that but would not tell me the results and all they would say were they did not match the prescription.

It was only later when I did a boiler repair for an optician that I found out that they have a LAW which prevents them from giving any bad infomation to anyone about other opticians! So they can hide their faults and the customer cannot get to the truth !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back