pro bono?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone here ever done a job for a charity run institution or for a genuinely needy customer and not charged a penny?

i'm not talking here about being a full time mug, but about being at someones house, knowing that they could be going without some essentials simply to pay your fee.

i agree some customers would be horrified and would rather pay than be humiliated, but it does no harm sometimes, not to lean too heavy on the pen for those that GENUINELY need or deserve it.

but, i always feed my family first. ;)

Sponsored Links
im anti bono.

i dont like his music or his sunglasses

I regularly get in trouble for working for free for old gals and boys, I am also a bit of a sucker for young couples with kids.

I regularly get in trouble for working for free for old gals and boys, I am also a bit of a sucker for young couples with kids.
I've got kids, and in need of a new boiler and install for free. ;)

Sponsored Links
did a wheelchair ramp for a customer as a freebie when i did some other work for them. Her and her helper broke down in tears as it meant she could go in the garden. My brothers in a wheelchair so i suppose i know what it meant to them.

id like to do more, but any spare time i do get for things like that i spend working on my brothers house and garden.

Thinking of sponsoring a local football team as a way of putting something back for the kids and into the community, but i suppose im getting advertising out of it.

When S/E, I used to do small jobs for elderly folk who quite obviously could not afford it for free.

Did one for a guy down the road....changed the circular tube & starter in an old flu.

I heard them arguing over the payment. He was scrabbling round for "10 bob". She said, "Don't be silly, we must give him more than that!"

I received £2 and heartfelt thanks.

We gave a £16k discount on a job for the local council on a job for a D&B refurb to form an after school teaching facility for middle school kids. Gives you a warm glow inside but not much else. Danger is setting a precedent and all good causes wanting something for nothing.... It all comes down to how charitable you're feeling at the time....

When S/E, I used to do small jobs for elderly folk who quite obviously could not afford it for free.

Did one for a guy down the road....changed the circular tube & starter in an old flu.

I heard them arguing over the payment. He was scrabbling round for "10 bob". She said, "Don't be silly, we must give him more than that!"
I received £2 and heartfelt thanks.

Was this during World War 2?

Not really done as a proper job, but I helped my OAP neightbour by rebuilding his fence and re-hanging a couple of internal doors (winter coming on - massive draughts without internal doors). Also did a bit of decorating. Nowt major. Couldn't afford a chippie and had bad arthiritis.

He tried to pay me with the remaining £9 of his pension. Told him to make me a coffee and we'd call it quits.

Since then, I've had about £100 forced upon me by his other OAP mates for doing odd jobs! :D

Dunnit makes ya feel all warm inside! :LOL:

Brother in law starts a new unpaid job on Monday doing all sorts of things for people who cannot afford tradesmen. Although he's a sparky, he is also a fairly competent DIY man. Cant work at his own job because of ear problems. I believe thta it is a Social Work initiative.

I havent actually done any work for free as such, but if they are elderly, I do go beyond the call of duty.
If I am decorating thier kitchen, I will end up cleaning thier tiles, kitchen cupboards, wash the floor, as they cant get round to doing it.

I have cleaned thier windows, changed thier curtains, washed thier nets, cleaned thier bathroom tiles,even when I am not actually doing that particular job, and I have ended up doing some gardening for them too.

I dont do it to get a drink or anything, I do it, as I know they cant, plus I have a soft heart. :oops:

Maybe its a female thing. :D

has anyone here ever done a job for a charity run institution or for a genuinely needy customer and not charged a penny?
Many times, mostly down my road, where most of the OAP are, I'm doing it because I have the time & they are poorer than me.

On Wednesday I put up a security light for an old lady. She asked me if the shop at the end of the road had shut as she needed a few bits. It had as it was undergoing a refurb (they're turning it into a mini Sainsburys) so I told her to jump in the van and I ran her over to the next village to get her shopping!

Sponsored Links
Back