Unemployed... again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As some of you may know, I moved to Brighton in November, did a short term temping for AXA PPP healthcare, then moved to Family Investments in the Child Trust Fund department as a customer advisor.

Today was the first anniversary of CTFs being launched, and after an hour-long meeting being told how well the company was doing, we were then told that because there were no customer service issues, and therefore low call volumes, our initial 3 month contracts were not being extended. We're not expected to work our notice.

I'm gutted.

Most, or at least some, of you will know why it was so important for me to make a new start here in Brighton. I just hope that I'll be able to find something else very soon. I have this months salary, and a month in lieu of notice, plus my outstanding holiday, but the whole lot comes to less than £3000. Essentially, if I don't get back in employment in the next 2 weeks, I'm snookered, as I don't have any savings.

I'm going to lay in bed tomorrow, lick my wounds and watch rubbish daytime TV on sky, and then on Monday I'm going to get myself back out there... I simply can't deal with unemployment. Wish me luck...

Sponsored Links
Weren't you in the hospitality/catering trade before? There must be quite a bit of that in a seaside town with the summer coming up?

Thats a shame, especially if you moved to brighton for the job,and I am sure you will get something soon . :D

Its a good idea to watch daytime telly in bed, as that in its self is enough to drive any sane person to get out of bed looking, if you ever need an incentive to look for work, then watching daytime telly is it lol.

Nine

I'm sorry to hear of your job loss.

BUT

You are a talented guy, and Brighton has lots going on in the way of hospitality-related trade.

By all means indulge yourself a little, but on Monday, you can leap out of bed like a new butterfly emerging, and shout at the top of your lungs,

"I AM going to find a job this week!!"

Go for it, mate!

Sponsored Links
I dont know why sorry...
but anyway, sorry about your job.

Is Shaun working?

Fingers crossed you will get some work straight away, even if just as stop gap.

Thanks for your comments guys, it's really uplifting :)

The thing about going back into the hotel trade is that I've noticed a peculiarity, being that although the rate of pay is more here in the south for most jobs, the hospitality industry seems to be stuck at it's notorious low. To pay the rent, bills and have some vague semblance of a lifestyle I need to be on a bare minimum of £16k. That's what I earned as a hotel duty manager in Nottingham, but similar jobs here are around the same salary, despite the increased rent and cost of living. So it's not a possibility at the moment.

However, things aren't quite as gloomy as my original post (made whilst very drunk :oops: ) might suggest. Shaun still has his job, I've got that little bit of cash in reserve, and Brighton has loads of employment agencies which I can use as a stop-gap, so I'm sure by the end of next week things will all be looking fine again!

ninebob

very sorry to here that, a lot of gayer mates tell me , Brighton IS the second best place for call centre work after NorthEast ....

a lot of firms seem to be on outskirts of the town ... in hidden industrial parks ,
maybe the job centre will help find an fire off your CV too them ,

I hope you get on your feet soon , ;)

an wish you all the very best :)

moz ;)

To further what Moz has said, call centre work is amazingly well paid. My mate's son works on an IT support line for some place in Swindon - all the answers are in a manual if he doesn't know them and he gets paid 23K a year!

ninebob

You come across as a intelligent guy i'm sure you'll get a job sooner or later, what about a job in computers you seem to know your stuff around a pc, what ever the outcome is good luck i'm sure you'll not need it. ( luck that is ), ;)

Sponsored Links
Back