Basstard B and Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the rip off big shed is not happy ripping off customers with overpriced goods it is now forcing employees to agree to the new terms or sack them to pay for the living wage ..read this from a employee and sign the petition on change.org

I have worked for B&Q for over 5 years, I started in the business working as a part time customer advisor and have worked my way up to a management position. I live and work in a high cost living area of London. The past month has been one of the most difficult for me personally and as a manager.

In early February 2016, after the Government announced that the minimum wage would be increased to a new ‘national living wage’, B&Q ran a consultation of its pay and rewards framework. They proposed the following changes:

• removal of time and a half pay for working Sundays,
  • restructuring of allowances for working in high cost of living areas of the UK
  • removal of double time for working bank holidays (now proposed to be 1.5)
  • Removal of a summer and winter bonus equating to 6% of annual salary
The full time customer advisors are being hit the hardest. Those who have worked within the business for over a decade and know our customers and our business the best are losing thousands of pounds a year. B&Q are asking people to sign their new terms and conditions of employment or they will be dismissed.

As a manager it has been incredibly difficult conducting consultations with people that are set to lose thousands of pounds and telling them that if they don’t sign by March 24th they will lose their job.

Big businesses like B&Q are using the national living wage as an excuse to cut overall pay and rewards for the people that need it the most. I feel ashamed to work for a business that treats their employees with so little respect. I feel ashamed to work for a business that proposes to pay neighbouring stores two separate rates of pay. I hope that there are others out there that feel the same and support this petition.

I hope that with the support of others, through signing this petition, we can influence B&Q and other businesses to reverse these changes. I also hope they acknowledge that treating people in this way will have a negative impact on their business in the future.

**I've written this petition under a pseudonym to protect myself at work

spacer1.gif

Sign the petition

Sponsored Links
Obviously theses changes won't affect the individuals making this crap up.
I'll never shop there again, not that I do anyway.

Simple option ..Refuse to sign then be payed off hopefully all illegally thus giving you grounds for unfair dismissal and a good payout

So the rip off big shed is not happy ripping off customers with overpriced goods it is now forcing employees to agree to the new terms or sack them to pay for the living wage ..read this from a employee and sign the petition on change.org

I have worked for B&Q for over 5 years, I started in the business working as a part time customer advisor and have worked my way up to a management position. I live and work in a high cost living area of London. The past month has been one of the most difficult for me personally and as a manager.

In early February 2016, after the Government announced that the minimum wage would be increased to a new ‘national living wage’, B&Q ran a consultation of its pay and rewards framework. They proposed the following changes:

• removal of time and a half pay for working Sundays,
  • restructuring of allowances for working in high cost of living areas of the UK
  • removal of double time for working bank holidays (now proposed to be 1.5)
  • Removal of a summer and winter bonus equating to 6% of annual salary
The full time customer advisors are being hit the hardest. Those who have worked within the business for over a decade and know our customers and our business the best are losing thousands of pounds a year. B&Q are asking people to sign their new terms and conditions of employment or they will be dismissed.

As a manager it has been incredibly difficult conducting consultations with people that are set to lose thousands of pounds and telling them that if they don’t sign by March 24th they will lose their job.

Big businesses like B&Q are using the national living wage as an excuse to cut overall pay and rewards for the people that need it the most. I feel ashamed to work for a business that treats their employees with so little respect. I feel ashamed to work for a business that proposes to pay neighbouring stores two separate rates of pay. I hope that there are others out there that feel the same and support this petition.

I hope that with the support of others, through signing this petition, we can influence B&Q and other businesses to reverse these changes. I also hope they acknowledge that treating people in this way will have a negative impact on their business in the future.

**I've written this petition under a pseudonym to protect myself at work

spacer1.gif

Sign the petition

It should have dawned on you at some point working there that all the hours you put in meant nothing to them. Smarter people don't work in such shyte places and expect to be appreciated, they know they are not and avoid working in such places. Think of yourself, because that's all they do, and start looking for a new job, you will only be expected to throw more and more people under the bus than you have already until eventually it will be time for you to take the shove as well. Sorry mate.

Sponsored Links
they cannot sack you for working to contract
they cannot change your terms and conditions without agreement
they can how ever make your life a misery if you don't

Do you have to actually sign it?
You didn't used to but it may be different now.

However, it makes no difference. You either carry on working to the new contract or leave.
They cannot just do whatever they want if not reasonable but you can assume they have checked everything legally first.

Big business and Osborne are great, aren't they?
They usually wait til Christmas for this sort of thing.

I don't know or pretend to know the legal rights of employers but what I do know is that a couple of years ago the tory gov made it "easier" for employers to dismiss employees and if it was to go to a tribunal the dismissed employee would have to pay the costs ...not sure how much ... but as big all said they can make life difficult.. a relative of my wife was working for a ftse 100 company and would not adhere to new working hours/practices and he was moved into a new role..weeks later that role was moved to another office about 40miles away so his only option to keep this job was to commute everyday to it......... back to b and q ..I will never shop there again

I believe there are required processes laid down, such as consultation, discussion, arbitration.
If these processes fail to find a resolution the company can give a period of notice when all specified new contracts will be invoked.

This is the process going on currently with Junior Doctors. The consultation, arbitration, etc processes have been exhausted and the government is giving notice that the new contracts will be enforced. I don't think that individual signing of acceptance is necessary. Your continuance to work indicates your acceptance. Otherwise, you stop work, which indicates your refusal of the new contract. Obviously, because the correct legal processes have been followed, your refusal to work results in dismissal. Any chance of suing for wrongful dismissal is almost bound to fail because the correct processes have been followed.
I suspect that any organisation representing the workforce, such as the appropriate union, will be in the best position to advise the workers, rather than social media.
Social media might serve to generate public support.

That's a fundamental change to the existing contract so I wouldn't sign it, if there's no union in place I'd take it to acas

I don't see the point in signing. It will not change Kingfishers attitude to both it's employee's & it's customers.

Boycott B&Q & Screwfix.

Hit them where it hurts, the only place they feel the pain.

In the pocket.

Forcing a new contract onto someone which will leave them worse off can be grounds for a claim of constructive dismissal.

Quite right Crank. I was in a rush to go out and just typed quickly.

I talk to the a few of the check out staff at our local tesco (get to see the same staff when I go shopping in the evening) and tesco are doing exactly the same thing as B&Q. One of the staff were chatting about it just this week and how much money they will be losing.

Sponsored Links
Back