Pro Tiling job. Should I be happy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m just having my bathroom built from scratch by a local bathroom fitter. I’ve been charged £3,400 for the labour and materials (I’ve supplied tiles,floor, lights, bath, sink etc and it’s a 2x2m room) today he’s almost finished the grouting on the tiles (he’s just got the window left)
I’m not entirely happy with the finnish but I need to have a second opinion. And what to say..
Sc3wRHU.jpg

Silver trim doesn’t line up where he’s boxed in behind the bath shown below
esSKoqz.jpg

7ZNlFll.jpg
Visible spacers poking though

FYHTKwg.jpg

Sponsored Links
professional tiler does not even use spacers like that. That is what I would use as I am not a tiler, but either bury them or remove them before grouting.

Consolation is I've seen a damn site worse by someone saying they are a professional. However get him to remove them and do it again, if he brakes a tile that's his doing. It annoys me, especially as its not even a cheap cost, you would expect them to do a better job than you could do yourself and a proper job, some people just do not take any pride in their works.

Last edited:
professional tiler does not even use spacers like that.
Which is presumably why trade tile suppliers sell gallon sized buckets of them? TBH I've worked on enough jobs over the years to know that a lot of pro tilers do use them, but that they invariably use them like you would use match sticks (I.e left sticking out of the grout), not buried like that. They are pulled out and thrown away once the tile adhesive has set and before grouting. I can't recall many tilers working without them

Sponsored Links
Which is presumably why trade tile suppliers sell gallon sized buckets of them? TBH I've worked on enough jobs over the years to know that a lot of pro tilers do use them, but that they invariably use them like you would use match sticks (I.e left sticking out of the grout), not buried like that. They are pulled out and thrown away once the tile adhesive has set and before grouting. I can't recall many tilers working without them

It's how I did ours. Looks a right old state for a while. The lipped tile isn't a good effort though, nor is the edge finish.

Are these photos the sum of all the problems or are they just four examples of many similar problems?

only a novice uses spacers like that -I know because that's how I did it the first time -they are awkward to push in

then I saw a pro use them -so they are sticking out, not used in the corners.

Diyers and cowboys leave the spacers in, you normally use them "on end"...and the bath end's a bodge, the bath/tile sealant joint will always be iffy.
Knock up a frame and bring up the tiled area...
Picture 022.jpg Picture 025.jpg

it’s at least £500 too dear for a room that size to start with.
it should be crisp and perfect .
he’s no pro .

He’s returned and done all the snags, to be fair to them they didn’t argue anything and sorted any snags I mentioned. But this was my first house job I’ve paid for in my first house. Definitely live and learn. Next job is the lounge to hack the fireplace out and get a log burner fitted. Hoping I don’t get stung

One further observation 're tiling spacers, they should be used perpendicular to the tiles, but it's important to use a consistent orientation throughout I.e. either vertical or horizontal, as they're not always square.

Sponsored Links
Back