problem when changing switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys looking for some advice, i was changing a ceiling pul cord switch today and didnt turn of the mains :oops: bad move i know!! i magaged to touch two wires together and they made a bang sound, when i went down and checked the c/breaker it had tripped, so i went and continued to wire the new pul cord switch however when completed i reset the trip, but there is not power as the light bulbs are not working. the bulbs are in the loft if it helps and i have checked all the upstairs ceiling roses for loose wires

Sponsored Links
hey guys looking for some advice, i was changing a ceiling pul cord switch today and didnt turn of the mains :oops: bad move i know!! i magaged to touch two wires together and they made a bang sound, when i went down and checked the c/breaker it had tripped, so i went and continued to wire the new pul cord switch however when completed i reset the trip, but there is not power as the light bulbs are not working. the bulbs are in the loft if it helps and i have checked all the upstairs ceiling roses for loose wires

How do you know there is no power? Do you have multi tester?

You might have blown the bulbs or wired the switch incorectly or...

Don't test for power by touching two wires together :LOL:

i have already changed the bulbs, i checked the wires with a tester screwdiver and there is no light coming on on the tester

Sponsored Links
the rcd did trip and i reset it after puting the new cwitch on but the lights dont turn on

i will get a proper tester tommorow, there are 2 red 2 black and 2 earth wires, they all go into the loft

wel the earth to the earth points, the black to the common and the red to the l1 on the switch

i suspect you have connected line and neutral across the switch.

were the black wires in a connector block before?

No they we're not in a connection block, the black wires we're connected together to one point and the reds together to the other points...

No they we're not in a connection block, the black wires we're connected together to one point and the reds together to the other points...

That statement suggests the old switch had at least three terminals.

Either you have some form of two-way switching.

Or a double pole switch was used originally.

Have you got a different arrangement of terminals in this switch?
Does just one switch control the light? If so it sounds like the blacks need to be joined separately.

I've seen the live feed in L1, neutrals in/out in L2 and switched live in common in a ceiling switch before. Switch still worked ok but I think a connector block would be preferable. :LOL:

The OP says same colours were together in the same terminal? Does sound like a DP switch. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back