Problem with flue and rain :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really need your guys knowledge and help on this issue.

I have a Gloworm Micron 40ff boiler. and during the bad wind and rain it floods my kitchen because the vent flue is taking in horizontal rain.

I have asked gloworm for help and got none whatsoever :mad:

and have also asked various shops but again no-one can give me an answer as to what can be bought or changed to help fix this problem.

I was hoping for some sort of storm shroud or extension could be bought??

I am on the first floor and there is plenty of room all around the vent it self

any help appreciated as I am really stuck right now
thanks

ventside.jpg

ventfront.jpg

Sponsored Links
difficult to tell from photo, is the flue sloping down from the boiler slighty. It must not be angled upward sloping back to boiler. Sometimes helps if a decent terminal guard is fitted, it makes it a bit more awkard for water/rain. Have you checked the guttering (if any) above flue in case water is dropping straight down onto flue. There is not any form of deflector available for the flue.

The cement around the flue looks quiten new.

Did you install the boiler recently yourself?

Its not possible to fit any cowls or shields.

The flue should slope downwards towards the outside at an angle of about 3°. That prevents rain water ingress. Yours looks as if there is no slope.

Fitting a boiler flue should be done by a gas registered engineer.

Tony

hi. thanks for the replies.

no I didnt fit the boiler myself it was done about 5 years ago before I bought the property.

if I bought a terminal guard what size would it have to be to be legal?

Sponsored Links
The flue on your boiler connects to the combustion chamber which is supposed to be sealed, if it causes your kitchen to flood, I can only assume that the integrity is breached. Turn the boiler completely off and have it verified by a RGI before using it again, it could be very dangerous.
I have never seen a fanned flue with a big bracket over the outlet, and it looks decidedly dodgy.
Added to the incorrect installation of the flue itself, it sounds like a dangerous cowboy install.

Is the flue from the boiler diagonally upwards or downwards, did you screw the plate to the flue terminal yourself?

Listen to Bengasman.

have never seen a fanned flue with a big bracket over the outlet, and it looks decidedly dodgy.
Added to the incorrect installation of the flue itself, it sounds like a dangerous cowboy install.

just because you do not know what the purpose of the"bracket" is don't make assumptions.for future reference it is a microns flue restrictor

have never seen a fanned flue with a big bracket over the outlet, and it looks decidedly dodgy.

just because you do not know what the purpose of the"bracket" is don't make assumptions.for future reference it is a microns flue restrictor
Nothing surprises me anymore, well almost nothing.
Mind you, even if it is original, it certainly LOOKS dodgy.

I think also the poster may be using a little poetic license with 'flooded the kitchen' Your thoughts?

just to make it clear i havent touched it, and wouldent touch it tbh.

i think the water is coming in around the outward most section of that pipe, which when the boiler cover was off I could see straight through from the inside of the room to the outside. the middle section of the pipe was obviosuly attached directly to the boiler itself.

hope that makes sense..if not i can take other photos

I think also the poster may be using a little poetic license with 'flooded the kitchen' Your thoughts?

take half a bucket of water and poor it onto your kitchen floor. I personally class that as a flood.

the weather was particuly crazy that afternoon with rain and wind. down in N.W.London

Just checked the manual to make sure I don't become known as : "Ben the Gullible", after all, you can't trust plumbers as we all know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back