Flue Sheild?

If you've got a smart phone you should be able to download an angle measuring app. Handy for things like this.

Sponsored Links
It should be possible to measure the angle above the boiler.

Typically you would need to lay a length of say wood along the pipe and measure the distance of each end below the ceiling. Then try to remember some trig. Although some makers put the slope per metre in mm in their manuals which I seem to recall is about 35 mm for 3 degrees. But in your case the first section should be horizontal as the slope is built in for the inner tube.

Some professionals have a small digital angle gauge.

Tony

But how accurate are they for measurements of just a few degrees?
I suppose it depends on your phone. Mine seems pretty accurate (within 0.5 of a degree) when compared to the spirit level and gives angles to 0.1

Sponsored Links
I'll figure something out thanks

No rain so no water tonight. It looks like I am going to have to invest in work on the flue either a repair or replacement - at least I know the boiler itself isn't leaking.

It's not an ideal problem per se it's a flue design issue and flue siting issue.
I believe ideal have spoken to M and G who make the flue for ideal and other manufacturers, about changing terminals with a bigger lip on the air intake and a hole just after it to let water run out.
May be worth phoning ideal/developer and explaining the situation and even though it's out of warranty they may look at it.
Not sure how many other manufacturers do it, but I note that Baxi have incorporated a catchment tray inside their boilers to drain the water down through the condensate. Not a bad idea, and cheap to do.

If only installers could measure angles accurately then the flue could be fitted sloping down by 1 degree to prevent water entering the outer.

The outlet tube would still slope back by 2 degrees.

Thats on the first flue section where the inner is fitted with a slope inside the outer.

Tony

I checked the outer flue and it is level.
I will have to get someone else out to advise and look at it. I don't think it is right that I should have to put up with that much water coming in. The flue may be faulty as I had water coming in about 6 months after I moved in and the site developers sent someone out. It seemed to be OK after that, but with the recent bad weather it seems to have started again. I am bound to have had rain hitting it at the right angle over the last 2 years and it didn't get in as bad as this, so maybe a fault has developed.

Thanks for all your help and advise, it is much appreciated.

I finally got someone to look at it and the Flue was at fault. The installer had damaged the seal on the elbow joint of the flue. The inner flue pipe had been cut roughly and not cleaned up before push fitting it. It was probably made worse when the site builder had come back out to level it and. The inner seal on the elbow joint was ragged and you could see water staining on the air intake where the condensate had breached. The outer flue pipe was also bent out of shape and they had rammed a load of silicone into it to compensate for the weak seal. The fitter suggested that on he cold wet days the moist air was turning to fluid more quickly than on warm dry days hence why I probably saw more leaking when it rained.

I finally have a dry boiler!

Thanks for all the help and advice

Isn't it nice when the op posts back with an update and thanks?

Well done, Bingsy!

Glad I found a decent engineer and not someone more interested in lining their pockets whilst destroying credibility of other decent trades people. The others might have had a quick buck out of me, but this new guy will have my trade for life. Out of this he has now gained 2 boiler services and 2 other boiler repairs from my family members and no doubt he will have their trade from now on.

You have just Hi-jacked a 5 year old post, this is against site rules for good reasons, you need to start your own post, if you want the correct advice Im afraid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back