Problem with Hotpoint Fridge Freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got back from the birth of our baby girl today to find out the fridge section of the fridge-freezer is not very cold at all. It feels like it would if the power was off for a day or so.

The freezer section still seems to be frozen and there are the usual noises coming from it.

Does anyone know of anything to check with these, or is anyone on this forum a service engineer? (perhaps in Surrey - and interested in some beer money? )

Sponsored Links
I'm not a refrigeration engineer and I'm not sure about your model.
However, if your machine takes cold air from the freezer to cool the fridge (a lot of frost free machines do this) then you're looking at an ice build up preventing air getting to the fridge or a faulty "baffle" not opening to allow air into the fridge.
If you can, defrost the appliance for at least 24 hours with the doors open. After this, switch it back on and see if it starts working again.
If it does, all well and good.
If the problem then returns it would suggest a problem with the automatic defrost.
Hope this helps.

assuming its a single compressor and the fridge is underneath
it could be short of gas how old is it!!!!

like sleepy head i am no expert ;)

hi, thanks for the replies
Its a FFM90 Frost Free with the freezer section at the bottom.
I have had the unit for 2.5 years now..

i'll give the defrosting a go and see what happenes.

The fridge has a display on it and for the past 12 hours is has shown that it is cooling down to 4 degrees.
The display doesn't show the actual temperature, just if it is cooling or warming to meet the temperature that has been chosen.

Sponsored Links
is it ok to aid defrosting using a hair dryer?
or will the warmth cause any damage?

I was thinking of pointing the dryer up the vents in the back panel of the freezer section..
its been defrosting for 24 hours now, and although some water has come out, it is not a huge amount (not sure how much ice is required to cause a blockage)

assuming your freezer is indoors and the average temperature is around 15% and the freezer is empty with the door open the job should be done

the usual method is
duvet on floor place baskets on duvet or put freezer contents in boxes cover with another duvet
bowl of hot water in the freezer door open for about 10 mins then scrape replenishing water occasionaly
wash with hot soapy water rinse with warm wipe dry job done in around 40 mins

now if there a duel skin and no frost in the compartment
just keep replacing the water as it cools then after 3 hrs i doubt if any ice will be left assuming as i say the room temp is around 15 degrees!!!

That only works on older type where the evaperator is accessible.
There's nothing to scrape on a frost free as the evaperator is behind a cover and the insulation is much better. It can take up to 48 hours to fully defrost.
With the evaperator cover off and using a hair dryer will defrost the evaperator in around 30 minutes. Unfortunately it won't clear the drain channel nor the airways which run through the inusulation.
At best 24 hours although normal advice is for 48 hours to ensure all ice everywhere in the machine has gone.
You'll find the bowl on top of the compressor will be pretty full of water and perhaps overflowing, hence no water coming out the front of the machine.

Sleepyhead said:
That only works on older type where the evaperator is accessible.
There's nothing to scrape on a frost free as the evaperator is behind a cover and the insulation is much better. It can take up to 48 hours to fully defrost.

thanks very much for your advice sleepyhead :D :D ;)
at least i am still learning :D :D ;)

I've got the same problem with my Zanussi frost free fridge freezer.

Its been suggested to me that its the defrost timer.
I'm going to see if I can take the panel off inside the fridge and defrost it if its all iced up behind.
If this works I'm then going to find a replacement timer.

Does your machine have electronic controls or does it just have a single thermostat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back