problem with internet explorer 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my rubbish work PC, my homepage is set to google. As of a few days ago about 75% of the time when you go to open internet explorer, instead of loading up google you get an Alert that reads: Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www.google.co.uk/. Operation aborted It doesn't happen with any other site or search engine. If you are on another site and then click on the 'Home' page it is guaranteed to abort it as above. My boss is as much use as a chocolate teapot and I'm very non-techy.

Any Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You could update to IE8 and see how you go or try this first\:

Your problem may well be caused by an add-on in IE, so try this .....

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced Tab and then uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" under Browsing.
Restart IE and see if you can get onto Google.
If you can the problem is with an add-on - go back to "Enable third-party browser extensions" and check the box again
Then go to Tools > Manage add-ons and disable all.
Re-enable one by one until the problem returns - you have then found the culprit.

dave

Thank you, I'll report back tomorrow as I'm at home now, have changed my homepage to igoogle for now which seems to work ok.

Interesting... I have had this exact thing going on all day at work today, intermittantly, where internet access is via Windows Server 2008 (through a Wyse Box), and Internet Explorer.

No problem here at home...

Sponsored Links
Interesting... I have had this exact thing going on all day at work today, intermittantly, where internet access is via Windows Server 2008 (through a Wyse Box), and Internet Explorer.

No problem here at home...

On google?

^ Yes. Just on google. I was thinking a temporary DNS glitch or traffic, but hearing someone else has the exact same thing going on, I am not so sure now...

You could update to IE8 and see how you go or try this first\:

Your problem may well be caused by an add-on in IE, so try this .....

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced Tab and then uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" under Browsing.
Restart IE and see if you can get onto Google.
If you can the problem is with an add-on - go back to "Enable third-party browser extensions" and check the box again
Then go to Tools > Manage add-ons and disable all.
Re-enable one by one until the problem returns - you have then found the culprit.

dave

Hi, I unchecked the "Enable third-party browser extensions" box but the problem persists. Are you saying I now need to try disabling them all and go through the process of re-enabling them one by one?

Thanks

No, as you disabled all the addons and it still won't work, it must not be caused by one of them so just enable them again.

Does iGoogle work OK all the time, if so just use that as your home page, I use it both in Firefox and IE8.

If no one comes up with another solution, try installing IE8 and see how you go with it. You can always just remove it in the Add/Remove section in Control panel if you don't get on with it, and IE7 will just kick back into use.

dave

Sponsored Links
Back