Problem with sloping glass roof, new pic inc, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a small sloping glass roof in the utility which connects to a flat roof. The glass roof consists of 3 panes set in a metal frame. The roof is fairly old but mostly does the job.

The issue that we have is that from the internal side there is a draught and small gap (about 1cm) between the glass and part of the frame. I have attached a picture to show what I mean (the metal has warped slightly leaving the gap).

What would be the best solution for filling the gap ? Is it too big for Sealant ? Could I used tape ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
Even on my 30inch LED monitor I had problems viewing those pics!

How big is the gap to be sealed (if you can see it to measure it)

Agreed the pictures don't really show it clearly.
You could try clear silicon if the gap isn't huge.

Thanks for the response, apologies for the poor picture, better one uploaded. The gap is biggest at the right hand side, you can probably see the warped part of the frame.

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
Whats the corky looking horizontal stuff that is sitting on top of the wood. Its it rotten wood or some kind of foamy product?

Hi

The gap is about 1cm on the right of the picture, a bit less on the other side.

The frame looks like it is metal with the white paint flaking off. There are also 2 strips of draught excluder tape which the previous residents applied at the bottom of the frame. Ignore the brown wood strip, that is just a separate piece of wood that is used to hold a net curtain that hangs underneath the glass.

Matt

1cm is about the biggest you can go with clear silicone, cut the nozzle to 1cm at 45 degrees and blast it in! Smooth it off with a wet finger or rag. Don't worry if you mess up, clear silicone can't look that bad if it's messy! :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back