Problem with socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just starting to decorate a bedroom, in the room is a double socket containing 2 cables the red obviously live are twisted together and put into the live part of the switch, the neutral black are twisted together and put into the neutral part of the switch, but I found out that one of the black wires is live ( i got a shock from it.) it disappears into the wall I have no idea where it goes next or where it comes from I'm assuming that some where else it must be connected to a live wire? How do I find where it goes or comes from and how the hell has it worked ok before?

I need some HELP :oops:

Sponsored Links
1) WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING WIRES AT THE BACK OF SOCKETS (OR SWITCHES) WHEN THE POWER IS STILL ON?

2) Is this a socket or a switch? You first called it a socket, but then twice you called it a switch.

3) Do you have 2 twin and earth cables? You talk about one of the black wires disappearing into the wall - what about the other one and the two reds? Photos would be useful.

BUT FGS TURN THE POWER OFF!

BAS it absolutely right.

Four things you should know

Black is a colour, it does not necessarily indicate the function of the copper conductor underneath the black skin

Neutral is defied as a LIVE conductor

(As you now know) do not assume anything about any electrical installation

Always, always carry out safe isolation procedures. These are detailed in the STICKY at the top of this forum.
My signature tells you why its a great idea.

Thank you for your reply
1/ I realise that was a rather stupid thing to do and will turn off the power in future.
2/It is a switched socket 2 gang
3/Yes there are two twin and earth cables both of then go down through the bottom of the back box in the wall

Sponsored Links
Sorry I haven't made my self clear
2 reds both live into 1 connection (L) rear of plug
2 blacks 1 live 1 not into 1 connection (N) in back of plug

IS IT NORMAL AND IS IT SAFE?

Sorry I haven't made my self clear

2 blacks, one live and one not?

how do you know ones live and the other isnt?

how the hell has it worked ok before?

If it's worked before and still works now, the perhaps the best approach is to leave it alone before you kill yourself?

Is there actually a problem with the socket? If so, have you considered paying an electrician to sort it, got to be cheaper/easier than a funeral?

Socket.

Socket.

And if they were connected together they must both be at the same potential, or there'd be fuses blowing/MCBs tripping...

What else were you touching apart from that black wire?

Thank
yes it is a screwdriver type tester
and i just caught one of the earth wires and in tripped out in the distributiion board
I think ill just put it all back as it was

Thank
yes it is a screwdriver type tester
and i just caught one of the earth wires and in tripped out in the distributiion board
I think ill just put it all back as it was

that sounds like the best option, i cant see any problem with what you are saying.

(without seeing a picture) it sounds fine.

If it was the RCD that tripped when the black wire touched earth then this is normal behaviour.
This can happen even if the MCB for the circuit is switched off.

The reasons are described here //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:rcds

Re your screwdriver tester.

As hightlighted in another thread. You should go to your local police station with the screwdriver, look for the amnesty bin and drop it in(it will be by the custody sergeant's desk).
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back