Problem with socket

It seems to me likely that there is nothing wrong here. If this socket is part way along a radial circuit, and there is a connected load further along the circuit, then if the OP disconnected and separated the neutral conductors at the socket, one of them would indeed be "live".

On the other hand, if this is an RFC, then this would be a sign of a break in the ring on the other side of that connected load, which needs investigating

To the OP: What is the current rating of the circuit breaker in the consumer unit for this circuit? (it will likely have either B32, B20 or B16 marked on it)

Sponsored Links
and i just caught one of the earth wires and in tripped out in the distributiion board
So
i got a shock from it
wasn't true, was it?

Why come here and say you got a shock from something (when you didn't) which is going to start people wondering if you have a voltage between N & Earth (which you haven't)? :evil:

I think ill just put it all back as it was
You should do some reading before you decide to remove any more electrical accessories.

So do you really not think there's a significant difference, both in the event, and the possible implications, between

"I touched a black wire at a socket and got a shock"

and

"I shorted N & E at a socket and the RCD tripped"

?

Sponsored Links
funnygif.gif

Thank you all for the replies
Some helped others didn't! I am now a little wiser ( I think )
I also didn't realise that so many perfect people would read about my problem, I hope you all have a nice weekend.

So do you really not think there's a significant difference, both in the event, and the possible implications, between

"I touched a black wire at a socket and got a shock"

and

"I shorted N & E at a socket and the RCD tripped"

?

Well that makes great English.

Seems to me that there is nothing wrong with the English used - makes perfect sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back