Problems with electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have some issues with an electric shower and I am looking for some advice.

It was working fine until last week, but now it seems that the pull cord is stuck in the ON position – which would have suggested to me that it needs replacing.
However, since this happened, the shower has stopped working, and more confusingly, when the on/off button on the shower unit itself is set to ON the light on the shower unit is off, bit when it is set to OFF the light is on. The shower does not work in either setting.

Does anyone know what might be happening? Would replacing the pullcord switch address both issues?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
If it's stuck in the on position then it's ****ed, so you need to replace it either way. Start by doing that.

Does anyone know what might be happening? Would replacing the pullcord switch address both issues?.
Switch has failed internally, probably due to a loose connection which has melted the switch and the cable insulation. The faulty connection will inevitably be the neutral.

Replacing the switch will most likely solve all the problems, but if the wires are damaged, the overheated ends must be cut off otherwise the same problem will happen again.

This switch: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p34147 is a decent one, and much easier to fit than the square box style.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back