product key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,, i have tried to get in micrisoft word a few times now and its saying i must enter a product key and i am not sure what that is? or how to locate the key! I am using noteword just now which is good but i prefer micrisoft word and exel,, etc. any help would be great!! :D

Sponsored Links
when, and how, did you install it?

have you got the microsoft disk and packaging?

it was last christmas we installed it! i am not sure as it was my dad who installed it so i dont know ive asked him and he doesnt know either :( no we dont have the disk or packing!!!

in that case. the product key (evidence that you bought a licence and not a bootleg copy) is probably lost

I am a bit surprised that it didn't ask for a key as soon as you installed it.

When I open my version of Word:

click "Help" then "About" it shows me my name and the product id from when I installed it. See if that works for you.

It is always a good idea to look for the product key when you buy software, and keep it in a safe place. I also write it in felt-tip on the label side of the disk.

Sponsored Links
Download Belarc Advisor for free from:
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
And run it.

You can read the details on the screen or print them off and it will, amongst other things, tell you the keys for any software that is installed.

MS Office key will probably be a string of five groups of five numbers and letters.

If Belarc doesn't find the key then you will have a cowboy version installed.

It wasn't a Christmas present by any chance?
Some new laptops have it on them but you must buy a key to activate it, I think that's how mine was.

If yours was a legitimate copy of Word the Product Key would have been very obvious - a large Yellow sticker with bold black letters headed Product Key and will consist of about 20 letters in blocks or 4 or 5 separated by hyphens.

When you installed Word you would have been asked for this, with the option to enter it at a later date. From memory I think it allows you to open Word 20 times before demanding the key.

If you haven't got it, even if you do have a legitimate copy, there is nothing you can do except buy a new copy. Microsoft will not issue a new key to you on the basis that your threw the box away (they won't believe you).

You could try searching the internet / eBay for Word licences - that you can buy. Whatever you do don't try to be smart by downloading a 'crack' - that is a small program that will 'legitimise' an illegal copy. Very often these cracks are some form of virus or malware. If you can't stretch your finances to buy a new copy/licence then do as someone else suggested and download Open Office as an alternative

Hi,, i have tried to get in micrisoft word a few times now and its saying i must enter a product key and i am not sure what that is? or how to locate the key! I am using noteword just now which is good but i prefer micrisoft word and exel,, etc. any help would be great!! :D

If you are a student then you can get Office for a discounted price. Software for Students Don't just presume that the price in PC World etc will be the same as online as different stores sell it for different prices. I got my copy of Microsoft Office 2010 Proffessional for £11

YR could have already had MS Office pre installed when he received the comp. I bought a new computer about 6 years ago and everything was pre installed. After a few years, MS Office started asking for the product key to be entered. Luckily the install disc was supplied with the computer, but I had to turn the house upside down to find it. ;) ;) ;)

A cheap way to get MS Office is to go on www.software4students.co.uk

Think its about £30ish on there as opposed to £2-300 elsewhere.

I know you supposed to be a student or a guardian, but this site dont check :)

If you do want to be 100% legit tho read their T'c and C's.

Ive used them many times and its a good way to have legal software instead of pirating it....no worries with updates etc then.[/list]

Sponsored Links
Back