Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice on making a claim against an architect for professional negligence.

The architect designed our loft conversion and also prepared building reg drawings. He also engaged with his SE to produce calculations. We never met the SE and paid the architect for all the work just mentioned. On BC's inspection, BCO noted that his plan incorrectly shows one of the walls to be a single brick when in fact it is half brick wall. The BCO noted the half brick wall even before he entered the house. The bricks are exposed so it's pretty obvious. I spoke with the architect, he said he never came across something like that, but he consulted his SE and they resubmitted their drawings and calculations. I do not understand the calculations, but they seemed the same to me. So I compare the previous calc with the amended ones, I went line by line and the only thing that changed was the length of the pad stone under the steel beams. I contacted the architect to ask if he is confident this will satisfy the BC as the calculations are the same except for the pad stone. He did not respond. After 3 weeks BC responded that this did not offer justification and asked to revise the plans again. To cut story short, the architect did not produce workable plan, he just left us with this mess. I found another SE who managed to convince the BC that this structure can work, however we needed to do some additional work which costed us extra £7,200 to make the loft compliant with the building regs.

Once the loft was signed off by the BC, I approached the architect asking him for a refund of his fees and to pay for a the extra work needed to fix this mess. He responded by saying he was happy to refund the fees but "I think it is unfair for you to expect me to pay for the additional costs. 7.2 of our terms makes very clear that the plans and calculations must be approved by building control before works commence."

He also said that he was happy we found someone who was able to come up with a design and he "accept this is something we would not have been able to do". He also said he approached several other engineering firms who said it was not possible either.

I'm planning to take him to a small claims court. There is no point of me taking a lawyer as whatever (and if) I will recover will go towards legal fees. So I need to build a strong case against him that is not too technical and gives us best chance to get the money back.

I need to make few points here that might or might not be significant:

1. we removed the roof before I realised we need to engage with BC (with my inexperience I thought you contact them when you need them....(n)) We didn't do any work in terms of inserting steel beams. But the roof was off. So it can be claimed we commenced work before plans were approved by BC.

2. We then waited for BC to validat the plans. Does this count as plans being approved, as architect points out in his response to me? I am afraid this clause by 7.2 is open to interpretation and by approve me might mean the "final" approval once BC had a chance to scrutinise his plans and ask questions. He might say the plans were not approved because the BC was not happy with his justification in which case we shouldn't have commenced work...my argument to him is that we had to commence work in order for BCO to come and inspect site at which point BC noted his plan incorrectly indicated we have a single brick wall.

3. I asked three SEs for help, the first two concluded this design could not be theoretically justified. The third SE was the only one who actually thought of asking the BC what was their exact concern with the wall. He got some more info and this way he managed to find a solution. Still, two out of three SEs I contacted didn't know how to solve this ( it wasn't their design so maybe they didn't try too hard...). Could our architect claim that he consulted a number of SEs who said his design was not possible to justify and therefore he is off the hook? What I'm thinking is that maybe our case shows that a SE with reasonable skills was unable to justify the design and therefore we cannot expect our architect to produce a solution.

4. While we were waiting for a response from BC when our architect submitted his first revised plans and calculations we commenced work by putting steel beams. It was winter, roof was off and we concluded that if it's only justification they need surely the architect and SE can produce it. We thought that if the structure was unsafe the BC would ask us not to go ahead. I don't know if that was right move, but that's what we did.

What are the most compelling points we should highlight when making the case? Or maybe you think we stand no chance. Will be interesting to hear from you.

Sponsored Links
You have a strong chance of success imo.
Subject to this:
however we needed to do some additional work which costed us extra £7,200 to make the loft compliant with the building regs.
Is the £7200 work entirely related to that wall or other parts of the construction?
The architect at one point stopped engaging: in a similar situation once i got all fees refunded by his insurance because i had to go to another architect.
Has your architect got a professional liability insurance?
They should have one.

£7200 is just the remedial work, so just work related to the issue.

I asked him about an insurance, but he never confirmed. My understanding is that he doesn't have to tell us if he has an insurance

Last edited:
£7200 is just the remedial work, so just work related to the issue.

I asked him about an insurance, but he never confirmed. My understanding is that he doesn't have to tell us if he has an insurance
Sounds stupid.
If you have professional insurance and someone wants to claim for your negligence, surely you have to provide details.
Have you got legal cover with your home insurance?
They will know the rules and advise accordingly.
Failing that, you will have to dig out if an insurance is compulsory for architects and if so, contact the regulatory authority (I'm pretty sure there's one for architects).
Or you could start legal proceedings and he will be forced to inform his insurance which in turns will contact you.
But your first port of call should be your home insurance legal cover if you have one.

Sponsored Links
Never rush ahead until drawings have cleared BC.(y)
Says the bloke who made two cast concrete pad-stones (one quite complex) and ended up destroying both because the opening, the steel and the bearing criteria changed.

Always look at (and make your builder aware of) all the response letters and conditions that you get back from BC.

I've lost count of the times that BC have made me aware of conditions long after the job started.

Never rush ahead until drawings have cleared BC.(y)
That's definitely true. However, I don't think this would make much difference in our case. The drawings assumed we had a single brick wall and the calculations were accurate and sound for a single brick wall. So even if we went down the route of full plans rather than building notice we would end up in the same place.

After 3 weeks BC responded that this did not offer justification and asked to revise the plans again
I am surprised the BCO rejected the SEs design. BC arent experts on structural engineering, I wonder what reason they used for rejecting.

I think your case is a bit iffy: the architect has made a mistake, but so have you. You have started work before drawings were approved.

Was the £7,200 the cost required to remove the wrong structure that was built or was it the cost of work required to achieve compliance.

if the £7,200 was always going to be necessary to complete the project, then I cant see how the architect can be held responsible -you havent lost out, its just that your job cost more than you originally thought.

If the work was done to the original spec that wasnt compliant and you built it without BC approval, then the fault is yours.

Personally I think it is better if architects ensure a SE does a site visit -and their design is submitted for approval separately to the architects drawings. That way the line of responsibility is absolutely clear.

In my experience SEs supply designs that comply with Building regulations and their work is underwritten by their insurance.

u are probably wasting your time in a small claims court tbh.

bringing technical ? non simplistic cases into the court hmmm

tbh the civil small claims courts are a total shambles imho , onetime of day each court had a court office accesable by the public

not now

all yer paper work seems to end up in Northampton and they seem hopeless tbh

only ever had one case that was technical ish

rest of the time its been for non payers

I am surprised the BCO rejected the SEs design. BC arent experts on structural engineering, I wonder what reason they used for rejecting.
It wasn't the BCO who rejected it, BCO pointed out that the plan is incorrect. BCO asked BC SE to review it and explained that we have a half brick wall not a single brick wall as per drawings. This is when BC SE asked the architect to justify the proposed design.

You have started work before drawings were approved.
My point is, even if we didn't start work, the drawings would be approved, as the BC wouldn't know they were incorrect until they came for a site visit.

Was the £7,200 the cost required to remove the wrong structure that was built or was it the cost of work required to achieve compliance.

if the £7,200 was always going to be necessary to complete the project, then I cant see how the architect can be held responsible -you havent lost out, its just that your job cost more than you originally thought.

If the work was done to the original spec that wasnt compliant and you built it without BC approval, then the fault is yours.

I understand your point, and maybe this is where we do not have a case against him. All those points are very valid and worth considering. What I wonder is, can an architect take a project, design it, make a mess of it because he didn't carry out a proper survey and then leave a client to find a solution? Isn't there duty of care? Based on his project we were given a quote A, obviously during the course of work there are things you cannot predict. We had an issue with a chimney that costed us a bit more to fix, we didn't blame the architect for this, because he didn't know how the chimney looked until we started work. But, if we incurred additional costs because he made an error, shouldn't he take responsibility for his error? He didn't even know how to fix it.

bringing technical ? non simplistic cases into the court hmmm
this is my fear. It's not the most technical case, but to understand the issue, one might need to go a bit into technical details but in small claims court there are not subject experts

this is my fear. It's not the most technical case, but to understand the issue, one might need to go a bit into technical details where there are not subject experts

you can get experts ?? to give evidence ? or submit written reports ?

what u need are clear and concise regs or some thing like that some thing that cannot be interpreted to mean different things to different people

as any case you bring is likely ? to go to a hearing ? (possibly)

plus the fella may well have indemity insurance or some thing

Sponsored Links
Back