Proffesional Install?

(which, I confess, I hadn't thought about at that time)!

That was the thing that smacked me in the kisser!!

Never mind how it looks otherwise: is the cable supported? I suppose you could say it ought to be enclosed in something to protect it from sunlight. Some say it should be enclosed for protection.

Me, I would have enclosed it in black PVC conduit because I feel it looks neater and is a more solid job.

Sponsored Links
(which, I confess, I hadn't thought about at that time)!
That was the thing that smacked me in the kisser!! Never mind how it looks otherwise: is the cable supported?
I suppose the two go hand-in-hand. What 'hit' me was how much of a mess it was, and I suppose that was primarily because it was not clipped.
I suppose you could say it ought to be enclosed in something to protect it from sunlight. Some say it should be enclosed for protection.
I wouldn't think sunlight was an issue. Even if the insulation were destroyed (which it wouldn't be by sunlight alone for a very long time), I don't think there is actually a requirement for a bonding conductor to be insulated, is there? As for mechanical protection, I suppose some might say that, but I've seen countless 'unprotected' bonding cables in far more vulnerable locations than that.
Me, I would have enclosed it in black PVC conduit because I feel it looks neater and is a more solid job.
Maybe, but I would personally first try to find a far more 'satisfactory' route - although I accept it may end up as a balance between effort/time/cost and 'niceness'.

Kind Regards, JOhn

Never mind how it looks otherwise: is the cable supported?
As supported as it would be in black PVC conduit.

I suppose you could say it ought to be enclosed in something to protect it from sunlight.
You could. Do we know that there's a reg definitely contravened if it isn't, which would merit "no, it is not [a professional install]. If they are scheme members, notify them."?

Some say it should be enclosed for protection.
Ditto

I'd have tried really hard to not have any of the run on show at all. Or if not, used white PVC conduit.

But what do I know?

What do you know indeed...

We're going back to that shower installation again, aren't we?

You are saying you'd go out of your way to hide as much of the cable as possible, but if that involves ripping up floorcoverings and boards and takes time and the customer wants neither the disruption nor the expense, then a quicker, easier route has to be sought.

I disagree wholeheartedly that the cable is equally supported as it is hanging in free air (ie unsupported) as it would be run in conduit.

Are you seriously telling me that, in terms of support, the two are the same?

Of course there are regs. Regs concerning protection against damage, mechanical protection, external influences, etcetera...

Which, surely you had considered, as you had opted to protect the cable with conduit too?

Double standards, no?

Boy, you are one sore bear.

Sponsored Links
You are saying you'd go out of your way to hide as much of the cable as possible, but if that involves ripping up floorcoverings and boards and takes time and the customer wants neither the disruption nor the expense, then a quicker, easier route has to be sought.
OK.

I disagree wholeheartedly that the cable is equally supported as it is hanging in free air (ie unsupported) as it would be run in conduit.

Are you seriously telling me that, in terms of support, the two are the same?
Please explain the mechanics of why they are not. What provides support for cables hanging inside conduit? Given that the cable is obviously supported by the roof, and then there's about 1m before it (probably) goes through a hole in the door frame, it could well be adequately supported.

Of course there are regs. Regs concerning protection against damage, mechanical protection, external influences, etcetera...
Indeed - and they all use variations of the term "shall be adequately protected", "so as to minimise" etc.

Doesn't look like a medium or high severity environment.

Which, surely you had considered, as you had opted to protect the cable with conduit too?

Double standards, no?
No - I'd consider that good workmanship.

Boy, you are one sore bear.
Not at all - just looking for consistency.

Wonder how it will cope when some kid climbs on that flat roof to get their ball and trips on it. Looks like it could have easily been run under the edge of the lower roof line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back