Programmable element for towel rail/heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an electric towel rail in my bathroom. The trouble is that I can only control it manually - on/off via the fused switch on the other side of the wall in the hallway.

What I want is to program it so that it comes on a x time and goes off at y time.

The only options that I can find are either a) timers that lets you manually turn it on and it turns itself off after a couple of hours - this is no good when I want warm towels at 5am! or b) putting a fairly ugly timer in place of the fused switch in the hallway.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time searching and can’t find a fully programmable element - does anyone know if it exists?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thank you - I presume that that white box would need to be fitted in place of the fused switch in the hallway? (See pic)

D0C209A2-8257-42F7-8EEB-523EF25E6C4D.jpeg

I couldn’t fit it in the bathroom in place of the white panel under the towel rail? (See pic)

74D85022-EEF1-4652-A621-D1A2991E1901.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That looks just like what I need - great find, thank you. Any idea if towel rail elements are interchangeable - is it a standard size screen fitting?

Not sure I get why you want to pay twice as much so you get another element that you already have. Still - your choice.

Hi, I have found a well priced timer and element for my towel heater. https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/search-results/Terma?pageNumber=4

The existing element says 150W on it. The news ones I’ve found seem to come in 120W or 200W, am I better going higher or lower than the current element please?

Now to safety - the towel rail is next to an open walk-in shower. It would be unlikely, but definitely not impossible, for water to splash on the timer, especially where say a wet hand is reaching for a towel. What I can’t figure out is the IP rating for the KTX3 - there’s some detail here which says IPx5 - is this sufficient? https://www.hessen.ee/tootelehed/terma/user_manual_terma_ktx.pdf

If theres no shower basin You cannot have mains switghgear or a mains timer in Zone 1, which extends 1.2 metres from the WATER OUTLET, the towel rail is allowed only if zone 1 approved and at least IPX4

Last edited:
If theres no shower basin You cannot have mains switghgear or a mains timer in Zone 1, which extends 1.2 metres from the plug hole, the towel rail is allowed only if zone 1 approved and at least IPX4
Thanks Rocky. Including another pic which hopefully shows the setup a bit better. There isn’t a basin as such as you can see. That white panel on the wall with the cable coming out is approximately 40cm from the edge of the shower floor/step which you can see in the pic.

What I don’t know is whether the towel rail is IPx4 or zone 1 approved, it was fitted by the house builder. The element is Rica branded but there’s nothing on the towel rail itself upon which to base some research...

You mention the plughole...this is the slit in the floor on the far right of the pic. From the white panel on the wall, it’s definitely over 1.2m away in a straight line.

D721DDBE-2421-4213-BB2A-4B56D64376C3.jpeg

What I don’t know is whether the towel rail is IPx4 or zone 1 approved,
Pretty certain it will be waterproof.

There are pleny of elements which are IPX5 which would be satisfactory.

You mention the plughole...
Irrelevant if within a cubicle.

However, the flex outlet should be >60cm. from the shower edge - IF it has actually been used as a connector.
You say you have a Fused Connector on the other side so the cable may have just been passed through the wall.

You can obviously do that with the new one.

Aren't all showers 'walk in'?

Ah yes, I had assumed the flex outlet to be used as the connection but of course the the cable may well just pass through the wall from the fused connector, I’ll check tomorrow.

If it is, is it allowed to replace the element with one that I can use this timer with? https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/e5813/crimson-bear-e5813-radiator-accessory

The IP rating on page 3 here (https://www.hessen.ee/tootelehed/terma/user_manual_terma_ktx.pdf)says that it’s IPx5 rated but does that mean I can install it in Zone 1 or Zone 2? I’m not sure whether my shower is Zone 1 or 2 given that there’s no actually shower door or basin!

If it is, is it allowed to replace the element with one that I can use this timer with? https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/e5813/crimson-bear-e5813-radiator-accessory
How far will it be from the shower edge. Less than 60cm., then no - also see below.

The IP rating on page 3 here (https://www.hessen.ee/tootelehed/terma/user_manual_terma_ktx.pdf)says that it’s IPx5 rated but does that mean I can install it in Zone 1 or Zone 2?
Inside the shower is Zone 1 and outside for 60cm is Zone 2.

I’m not sure whether my shower is Zone 1 or 2 given that there’s no actually shower door or basin!
A door does not matter.
Well, you might not have a normal basin but I did presume the water does not run outside of the shower.
If it does, I think you will have to buy a timer which can be fitted in the hallway. That would be a much more convenient position anyway - higher up depending on how much work you want and the decor.

Last edited:
Efli, does Zone 2 exist with that shower set up, i would class that as a shower with NO basin and a permanent fixed partition and zone 1 is depicted by 1.2 metres from the fixed water outlet, sorry i earlier said Plughole, which was wrong.

Efli, does Zone 2 exist with that shower set up,
I did raise doubts depending on where the water goes - but it would be a poor design if the water escapes with no waste pipe outside the shower.

i would class that as a shower with NO basin and a permanent fixed partition and zone 1 is depicted by 1.2 metres from the fixed water outlet,
Fair enough, (I know it's not a manufactured basin but cannot people make their own?). If the water IS retained inside, would you still think the same?

It's not (intentionally) a wet room is it?

See what others say.

Either way, I still think having the timer outside the room is better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back