Towels rail heater

Maybe it isn't essential to have a double pole isolator, but if it where me, I'd feel better with mechanical isolation rather than depending on the little 'TEST' button, which all most RCD/FCUs come with. Particularly in a Special Zone.

You need to brush up on GN3.

The function of an RCD is tested within certain limits by the application of a series of earth leakage tests on the RCD. The RCD is only passed for use if it meets those criterea.

The test button is a basic functional test and does not indicate the correct operation of the RCD.

Or do you only test the RCDs that you install by pressing the button and saying "that must be OK then".

Sponsored Links
I did not make any reference to a method of testing the RCD. I was referring to a method of mechanical isolation for maintenance purposes.

For that purpose, I don't consider the TEST button adequate. The fuse could always be removed which is probably good enough, but that usually requires a small screwdriver, and I would consider a simple ON/OFF switch more suitable.

Why did you say 'Yes' then?
Because I'm pretty sure the OP meant the fuse in the RCD FCU as he asked where he could get a 3A one (RCD FCU that is).

For that purpose, I don't consider the TEST button adequate.
Do you think it will reset itself?
The fuse could always be removed which is probably good enough, but that usually requires a small screwdriver,
I have one.
and I would consider a simple ON/OFF switch more suitable.
There will be up to three in the CU. :confused:

Sponsored Links
An RCD to BSEN60947-2, BSEN61008-1, or BSEN61009-1 is listed in BS7671 as a device approved for use for isolation, emergency swiching and functional switching.

Not with a normal one it's not.

Even if that's so, the little coloured flag inside the minute window on these RCD/FCUs can be extremely difficult to 'read' without getting close up. Then there's the issue of what colour signifies what!

Give me an ON/OFF switch any day (as well as the RCD of course).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back