Pros / Cons of programmable radiator valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are getting a new Ideal Boiler (not combi) fitted into a 3 storey town house.
It has a 2 zone system - split for downstairs / 2 upper floors.
We have bought 2 Nest thermostats, one for each zone.

In the downstairs zone all but the cloakroom rad have existing Myson TRVs.
As part of the installation they will be installing TRVs on all the upstairs zone rads except the one in the downstairs hallway (which is part of the upstairs loop despite being downstairs).

We are considering getting wifi controlled valves like an Energenie MIHO013-4 Smart Radiator Valves instead of normal TRVs but theses seem to be about 4x the price of a standard TRV. What are people's experiences round using these - are they worth the extra money for flexibility and convenience?

I am thinking of examples of how we use our home:
* there is someone home all day so we have a relatively high fall back temperature for the daytime despite only certain rooms being used
* one of offices used during the day does not often need heating due to electrical heat from appliances but other one does (and has a cold sensitive person in!).
* living room is only used in evenings but would currently be heated mornings and to a lesser extent during the day
* person in loft room likes a much colder temperature to rest of us mostly, but likes it warmer when showering.
* we all have very different bed times - little one gets too hot after going to bed while heating is on
* be great to have a kind of 'bathtime' mode where a bedroom and bathroom combination could be triggered along with the hot water tank on an adhoc basis rather than only during set hours / or requiring all of the house was heated if we override the settings.

Are these the kinds of things the programmable valves will help with. I am not clear on how clever the 'learning' part of the nest thermostat is, but I'm guessing it is still a fairly blunt instrument if it cannot control individual rooms.
I am not so worried about the price if they do the job, but don't want to waste money on something that will not be effective just because it is fun and links to our new toy! Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Ok, it looks like the Energenie might not be a very reliable brand but the Honeywell looks good, although at a higher price.
Tado seems to only be compatible with combi boilers

Ideally you should have everything from one brand, so return the Nests & buy a proper integrated system. Tado will work on your system. Personally I quite like the Salus Smart Home kit, and it's reasonably priced too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back