Protecting UB from collapse in fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The design for my new extension includes a UB that will support the first floor joists for two of the upstairs bedrooms.

The UB will be hidden within the floor/ceiling cavity (i.e. no down-stand) The joists will be supported in the usual way: on hangars that are fixed to two joists that are bolted in to the web of the bean.

To provide 30 minutes resistance I want to specify that it'll be encased in 30 minute fireboard, but how would that work in practice given that there'll be 20 joists fixed in to it. I could protect it from the underneath easily... but am I also expected to run the fireboard up the sides in between every joist entrypoint?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is above the ceiling which is already 30 min FR then that is fine, you do not need to further encase the beam.

If it is above the ceiling which is already 30 min FR then that is fine, you do not need to further encase the beam.

Okay - so double layer the whole ceiling in standard PB rather than worrying about the beams specifically. Makes sense... and probably not much in it time wise.

Sponsored Links
unless somebody cuts holes in it for downlighters.

If the room was 5mtrs wide would you fire board the whole ceiling or just centre a 1200mm board under the beam?

If the room was 5mtrs wide would you fire board the whole ceiling or just centre a 1200mm board under the beam?

Would the fire just burn away under this 1200mm board?:unsure:

The floor is just as much a structural component as a beam, so is treated the same - 30 minutes fire resisitance required. If a beam is within a floor then the floor provides the protection.

No, I was just thinking why don't regs say to use fire board on all ceilings rather than just those with steel beams in?

Unless they do, in which case I did my lounge ceiling wrong.

No, I was just thinking why don't regs say to use fire board on all ceilings rather than just those with steel beams in?

Unless they do, in which case I did my lounge ceiling wrong.

Because fire board is not necessary for beams or ceilings to achieve the required fire rating.

What is it then? A single fire board or double normal board?

Have a gander at The White Book if you want to get picky, a single layer of 12mm PB + skim will give you 30mins depending on the depth of the joists and the floor finish for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back