Protecting underside of kitchen wall units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my cooker hood sitting in a run of wall units, as shown:

Am looking to cover the underside of the units to protect against splashes, steam (kettle sits under one side and we drink a lot of tea :D) and also bridge the gap to the tiles.

Any idea what low maintenance material to use which can either be bought to size, easily trimmed, white in colour, thin enough not to be seen below the doors etc?

Sponsored Links
are the carcases and doors covered with plastic laminate, or vinyl wrapped?

One is hard and durable, the other peels off.

How high are the units above the hob and worktop?

Units are 700 above. Its not the doors I am trying to protect, it is the carcass which is the standard finish. Am looking for a thin veneer/other to attach onto the underside of the carcass.

Sponsored Links
standard finish

so do you mean laminate or vinyl?

you could use white laminate, it is available in sheets.

Or brushed stainless steel, it is sold cut to size, people often use it as very durable splashback behind hobs.

If the doors are foil wrapped it will peel off.

White Perspex or similar, screw some kind of rail extrusion on if you want to withdraw it requently? Or mirror type brackets.

I have a chunk of stainless that was a door kick plate that I intend to fit under one cabinet- I was just going to screw it on

As said, the best option is to avoid heat/steam too close to a cupboard bottom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back