Protecting window panes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After getting some good advice for another problem I hope I can get more for something else.
We are going to paint the outside of our bungalow again, this weekend if the weather stays fine and it is covered with rough pebble dashing. We have done it several times before but always seem to get tiny spashes all over the window panes which are really hard to get off. When we had wood windows we use to nail old sheets up to protect them but now we have got double glazing we cant do it and it is impossable to tape sheets on thhem as they are too heavy for it, and plastic blows off before we can get it up.
So do you have any tips how to stop getting the splashes in the first place or an easy way to clean them off please?
Thank-you
Maggie

Sponsored Links
You can get a roll of thick plastic sheeting from B&Q for about £18, just stick it to the frames with masking tape

Maggie you have two alternatives you could either using masking tape and newspaper cover the entire area, or for a £ or two purchase a window scraper. These are simply a stanley blade attatched to a plastic handle, they will remove both water and oil based paints with ease.

Dec

WOW that was quick thank-you. I would like to try the paper but because 4 of the windows are nearly 10foot wide and the others are all at least 6foot I think it might take lots of it and a long time. My husbannd seems to think you mean the plastic for dampproofing because we've tried those thin polythene sheets - is that right because we will get that if the paper does'nt work out?
Thank-you
Maggie

Sponsored Links
Maggie I think perhaps your best bet would be to go for the window scraper, it matters not if you choose the plastic as suggested by dcdec or the newspaper I have a feeling that both methods will prove difficult.

The scraper as said will remove splashes of paint with ease and won't scratch your windows, perhaps worth consideration.

Dec

OK we will get one if we need it but my husband says sharp blades can scratch the glass and is worried it might damage it because it is pilkington thermal glass. Perhaps I should have mentioned that before.
Maggie

Let's say your tape is 2" wide. Apply it all round the sides of the frame, sticking just 1" of it leaving the other inch curled up.
Slide your Sun newspaper under that, then press it down. Fill the middle gaps with paper just taping bits of it.
If it's not windy, you'll be good to go.
Try not to have any of those raunchy pictures on view as it might hold the job up. :eek:

Its not the thin plastic sheeting, they rip easily, this stuff is thicker. Its not difficult at all, just use the method described by growler and insert the plastic instead of paper. Glass scrapers can scratch glass and its a lot more work than protecting the glass in the first place

Well I have never known a window scraper to scratch glass, and can think of many a diy-er that has got themselves into a right pickle trying to mask up.

Dec

Might be a bit late now, but is it possible to open the windows a little, hang a sheet or two over them and then close them to keep the sheets in place. If you do this DON'T turn the handles as the mechanisms could get jammed. All you need then is some masking tape to protect any exposed framework or even just a wet cloth to wipe off splashes as you go.

Glass scrapers don't usually scratch glass if used carefully unless there is a nick in the blade, so if you do use one, check it thoroughly and avoid scraping with it's pointed corners.

Well we managed to get all the paintinng on the walls done this week. We started by using some thick plastic sheeting that we kept from our new bed last year. Then we tried the sheets tucked into the windows which was much easier so thats the way we did them in the end and there was'nt ant to scrape off the glass so we did'nt have to worry about the scratching.
The only thing left now is the gutter boards which are fine but dont go with the new colour so can we paint green one coat gloss straight ontop of the blue or do we need to under coat it first?
Thank-you
Maggie

You can MrsT if the Blue is in good condition. The "paint purists" wont like it but done correctly it should be good. You didn't say what kind of paint it is but assuming it's self undercoating...damp wipe over and lightly rub it with a smoothish wet and dry sandpaper, don't scratch it as that will show through - 400 grade will do.
Dust off, gloss it and that's it.

Green :eek:

MrsT Crown Solo is the product you want, it has amazing covering power and the shine will astound you.

Dec

We've already bought the green one coat gloss and it's dulux - sort of like emerald green - which is the colour we had before we changed it a few years ago and everyone loved. We dont really want anything to shiny anyway.
Is it still allright to do it the same way you have said with this paint as we are just about to start if the rain does'nt stop us.
Thank-you
Maggie

Maggie yes you can use it just follow the advice on prep, but Maggie if it has been raining or indeed it is expected don't paint.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back