Protecting window panes

Thank-you
I think the rain is supposed to hold off for today but looking at the clouds in the distance i'm not so certain. I think we will make a start on sanding but we only have No.240 sandpaper is that ok? (we always used it before) and then if the rain comes we can leave it intil tomorrow or Monday, Tuesday,.....next year HAHA!
Maggie

Sponsored Links
Maggie

240 grit is a little harsh and any surface scratches will be highlighted with the application of a self under coating paint, and it also should be wet & dry paper used wet.

Dec

They are hardly what you would call smooth in th first place so we are not worried about a perfect finish just as long as it sticks to the old paint. My husband does'nt fancy another hours round trip to the shop 'JUST FOR SANDPAPER!' as he not so politely put it.
Maggie

MrsT Crown Solo is the product you want, it has amazing covering power and the shine will astound you.

Dec

I second that quote but, :evil: I'm going to go one giant leap forward for mankind in saying that Crown Solo gloss, is the best paint invented. ;)

Sponsored Links
I don't blame your husband Mrs T - 240 grit is fine and shouldn't leave any marks that one coat gloss won't cover.
It's not so long ago that some people here were advising the use of 120 grit paper prior to applying the finish coat.

20 years ago Crown Solo would have got my vote as the worst paint in history. Today I'd vote it the best too.

I don't blame your husband Mrs T - 240 grit is fine and shouldn't leave any marks that one coat gloss won't cover.
It's not so long ago that some people here were advising the use of 120 grit paper prior to applying the finish coat.

Well you would have a clue anyway so what's your point?

The point is that in this situation 240 grit is not fine, Crown Solo self undercoating best applied to a sound and stable gloss surface. Prep a wash down and 400 grit wet, result stunning.

Dec

A further point is that Mrs T has clearly stated that she is not using Crown Solo, the existing paint is sound and that basically all she wants is to provide a key, therefore 240 grit is fine.

Perhaps in your desperation to be the first person to reply to each and every post, you missed that vital information.

Well again you could'nt be more wrong, the op has stated the use of Dulux so I would assume this to be Dulux once therefore the same prep will be needed, yet once does not have the ease of flow that Solo has!

Dec

You must both paint in la-la land. Most of the time the previous surface is oxidised, full of old brush marks and claggy bits.

I use 80 grit to get rid of the rubbish, then 120 grit and by this time you can usually see all the old colours underneath - so I undercoat it and then a light sand - then Solo. It comes out absolutely perfect every time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back