Proximity of socket to sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have just had a kitchen fitted. In doing so a socket was removed. When I contacted the fitters I was told that regulations meant that it was too near the sink and had to be removed. My suspicion is that, rather than fit a new socket below worktop level for the appliances, they moved the existing one. I have similarly placed sockets either side of my sink which weren't effected when my kitchen was fitted 2 years ago. Even if there are such regulations, surely existing sockets aren't effected. The sockets are approx 2 feet from the sink. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As a general recommendation accessories should be mounted above sink height at a horizontal distance of not less than 300mm from the edge of the sink top.

When I contacted the fitters I was told that regulations meant that it was too near the sink and had to be removed. My suspicion is that, rather than fit a new socket below worktop level for the appliances, they moved the existing one.

What the fitters appear to have done makes sense. Having a socket too near a sink is obviously not a good idea, and if remodelling the kitchen has led to this situation then it would have been a choice between resiting the sink or the socket. Moving the wiring to an appliance socket under the countertop kills two birds with one stone, as it allows the existing wiring to stay in place with no worries re safe zones. There is the question of isolation, but that isn't really what we're discussing here.

I understand what you are saying but, in moving this socket, the fitter has given them one less socket on their worktops and means that they now have a 1.5 metre stretch of worktops where they can't use an electrical appliance. What I want to know if there are any regulations that compelled the abolition of this socket.

Sponsored Links
As Rob says the recommendation is 300mm from edge of sink. Does seem a shame to lose that socket as another 20 mins graft you could have had both

There is no measured limit defined in the regulations AFAIK, but reproduced below is a small section of the NICEIC technical manual that has been touted around before when similar questions have been asked re proximity of sockets to sinks:

2. Domestic premises
Domestic kitchens, bedrooms and cloakrooms (unlike bathrooms and shower rooms) are not included amongst the special installations or locations in Part 6 of BS 7671 and are not rooms where the resistance of the body is likely to be significantly reduced. Therefore, normal precautions against electric shock should be adequate and the general rules of BS 7671 are applicable.
However, whilst BS 7671 does not forbid the installation of a socket-outlet or other accessory close to a sink in a domestic kitchen, bedroom or cloakroom, the requirements of Regulation 512-06-01 have to be taken into account.
The requirements of Regulation 512-06-01 mean that ordinary BS 1363 socket-outlets and similar accessories are not suitable to be installed so close to sinks or draining boards that they are likely to be splashed with water or operated with wet hands.
The penetration of water into an accessory could have serious effects. Water entering the terminals and mechanism may lead to corrosion, internal arcing, general degradation and eventually malfunction. Additionally, and more seriously, water may provide a track for the phase voltage to be transmitted to the front cover of the accessory, giving rise to the risk of electric shock.

A rule of thumb recommendation for domestic premises, to avoid the effects of splashing, is that ordinary BS 1363 socket-outlets and similar accessories should ideally be mounted not less than about 300 mm (ideally not less than about 1000 mm), in the horizontal plane, from the extremity of a sink top or wash basin.
Where splashing of accessories cannot be avoided, equipment having a degree of protection of at least IPX4 (protection against water splashing from any direction) or IPX5 (protection against water jets from any direction) is likely to be required. This type of equipment is, of course, unlikely to be visually acceptable in most domestic situations indoors.

on the subject of isolation, it would have been preferable to have a switch above the counter to control the appliance socket below. This is easy to install.

Not much chance of getting under the counter to isolate the appliance when it is fizzing or flaming

and a switch is less liable to cause danger to wet hands than a socket.

and a switch is less liable to cause danger to wet hands than a socket.

I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with any standard electrical accessory without a suitable IP rating being close to the sink, although suitability is down to personal preference. It would have probably been more difficult to add a suitable isolation point out of harms way while staying in the safe zones, although certainly not impossible, but without seeing the job we just have to assume the fitter had reason not to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back