PRV failure and Riello RDB LockOut solved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grant Vortex ECO Utility 21-26. After 3 years use on just now winter start up the factory installed Caleffi PRV (10bar !!!) fractured where it is screwed into the top of the outfeed and so emptied the system water (with Fernox) over the boiler and the control box. There was steam from the boiler room - first reaction was to to knock off the mains and close the cold feed to stop the system refilling.

After clearing up and blanking off the PRV (open system so pointless to fit a PRV) then the Riello RDB2.2 ECON 70-90 LockOut neon (marked LED1 on the pcb !!) came on immediately at power on and did not go out after Reseting. It went out when Reset is pushed (and the fan stops) but came on again after releasing and the fan restarts. The fan motor ran from a power on but there was no spark up after 12 secs. There was oil supply OK. I checked the photocell disconnected measured 3M 'ish dark falling to 5-9K in light which from other posts looked OK.

I presume the Fernox is alkali and hence conductive and so was giving a low resistance across the photocell input causing the LockOut at power up so the PCB was brush washed in distilled water and all air blasted away and pcb dried so that should no longer be a problem.

Lo and behold - problem solved.

The fracture looks like it had been there for a long time but the O ring held the seal and it just finally failed as the boiler temp rose. It was into an iron adaptor - I think it is bad practice to mix brass and iron where the brass is stressed because of differential expansion rates but anyway it looks like it was overtightenned.

Any one else had PRV failure like this ??

Why would they fit a 10 bar PRV ?? - the radiators / pipes would blow well before that I would expect - and anyway on a open system max pressure can only be the height of the header tank so no use for a PRV.

Sponsored Links
Grant Vortex ECO Utility 21-26. After 3 years use on just now winter start up the factory installed Caleffi PRV (10bar !!!) fractured where it is screwed into the top of the outfeed

Why would they fit a 10 bar PRV ?? -

They wouldn't and don't,they do however fit a auto air vent that probably has a max rating of 10 bar

what did this "PRV" look like A or B

A
5026.jpg

b
311.jpg

I'm going to guess A

Thanks matt1e - silly me - of course it is an auto air vent - I think the success of fixing the controller went to my head !!.

See pic of underside where it failed. The brass bush there is quite thin and the outer case has a large diameter and so overtightenning is easily done. Even hand tightenning could be too much - it just needs to seat fully onto the O ring. You can see by the fracture colours that it has been cracked for a long time.

Thanks for noticing that.

Anyway be warned !!

//media.diynot.com/196000_195064_52008_96135638_thumb.jpg

I've fitted/Replaced literally Hundreds of these AAV's on Grant boilers and never have had a problem with a split like yours, so I would say you have been unlucky - as for the Control box what saved it is the Riello Control box operates at 50Vac (supplied by the burner motor) - the motor is the only component on the Burner rated at 230Vac everything else is Low Voltage - this is what makes the riello Burner unique ;)

Sponsored Links
- as for the Control box what saved it is the Riello Control box operates at 50Vac (supplied by the burner motor) - the motor is the only component on the Burner rated at 230Vac everything else is Low Voltage - this is what makes the riello Burner unique ;)[/quote]

It would be a RDB burner on this boiler, all 240 volt. OP was lucky with the photocell. I've found you only have to be a bit firm cleaning a clouded lens, and the b*****d thing just puts the burner into purge!

Sorry to disagree Oilhead, BUT the RDB is a low voltage Burner, the motor is th only 230v item on the burner, the white wire is a 50Vac supply to the Control box which is the power source for everything else the solenoid coil is even lower than 50V !

However I am with you on the PE Cell - you only have to look at it and it will fail!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back