Pulling down over head powerlines.

Sponsored Links
Because of this sequence:

DNOs cannot legally claim anything other than the direct cost of the repairs despite there being hidden costs for loss of supply to other customers. However these other customers can and have claimed compensation themselves!
Yes, but even they can only claim for demonstrable financial loss. Claims for 'compensation' are just what they say!

Kind Regards, John
Ah ..... but I've never said how successful any claims have been!!

..... not very!!

Sponsored Links
But back to the O/P

Contact with powerlines is the number 1 killer of folk by power networks. I've some photos at work from an incident from a few years ago that caused 2 deaths when a streetlight that was being removed came into contact with an 11kV line.

My first question is always why, you can see the lines so how can you hit them (rhetorical question I generally know why)

How can they hit lines that they can see?
People generally are poor at estimating distances with an 'upwards' component. Ask people how high a tree is to see what poor accuracy they achieve.
This brings us back to the need for a proper risk assessment - something our politicians seem to think completely un-necessary. One of the key changes in H&S came from the Japanese railways history. To deal with exactly the type of scenario described by the OP they created a system where, before any work was done, the people described each action out loud. As the worker went through their intentions, many risks such as hitting a powerline would be teased out and understood. Because so many lazy/dishonest/greedy/etc people have used H&S as an excuse for behaving badly, activities such as talking through a sequence have been seen as bureaucratic inventions and the value of using them is not appreciated.

Risk assessments and method statements have become a tick box exercise, especially if it is the same form you fill in for each job. People just get the pen out, tick the boxes, write the same spiel and don't take in what they are stating.

No excuse at all for hitting a power cable though.

When you can't see them or are looking in a different direction then an overhead cable can take a hit.

The driver didn't have the cab top canopy open which was one contributing factor. But then it was lashing rain and more comfortable to have it shut.
There was also a banksman who missed seeing which was another factor.

You also have a 1 ton shutter swinging on the end of the entension jib and eyes will be watching that also.

NIE will have to shift their cable either off the property or underground when the building is extended.

No excuse at all for hitting a power cable though

Don't be daft.

No excuse at all for hitting a power cable though

Don't be daft.

Sorry? Who is the daft one? Hitting a power line and then expecting someone else to pay? Is it me that's daft?

I hope you realise that when it comes to relocate this power line due to the extension, someone is going to have to pay?

Not being funny, but knowing there are overhead lines in an area, I would be more than aware of them.

Hitting an underground cable is bad enough, but an overhead one? TBH, it's quite shocking. Your 'don't be daft' is almost saying it's something that comes with the job. It really isn't.

Risk assessments and method statements have become a tick box exercise, especially if it is the same form you fill in for each job. People just get the pen out, tick the boxes, write the same spiel and don't take in what they are stating.

No excuse at all for hitting a power cable though.

Correct. Risks need to be appropriately mitigated and the in place barriers need to be appropriate. Such an example I woul imagine would involve a spotter whilst passing near cables or alternatively asking the dno the height of the cable then measuring to the top of the digger.

How's the wiring on the digger by the way? :mrgreen:

Digger wiring is fine.
Remember hitting main distribution lines many years ago. Just seen a few sparks falling which reminded me about them. Had I drove on I'd have taken them down. Was sitting on an excavation pile so up close to them.
Put a small hole in the ram too.

People generally are poor at estimating distances with an 'upwards' component. Ask people how high a tree is to see what poor accuracy they achieve.

My employer (and others) was prosecuted under CDM for a similar incident which led to a death about 8 years ago. Wonder if the OP has reported this to HSE as a RIDDOR?

Looks like NIE are footing the bill for the damage.
Guess they have deemed their cable to be located in a hazardous location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoPPhdXWf_o&feature=related
How come the last guy to be released from the scaffold is the one who survives? The youngest one maybe?
And also makes contact a second time which knocks him down for a few more minutes.
You can even see arcs jumping what looks like at least a foot in this footage!

A good idea would have been to look for the nearest forklift or vehicle and let it drive into the scaffold unmanned to push the scaffold away
from the contact point. I could envisage a big arc jumping a meter maybe as it moved away??
But faced with such a situation you would probably never think of that and might likely panic and just run.

I had a neighbour who was lifting scrap beside an electricity sub station with a hiab and he hit the lines. His mate rushed in to pull him away.
Both died.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back