Push Celining rose into roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an extension built and got the builders to put ceiling rose in all the rooms. I now want to put a more modern light in the sitting room but the ceiling rose has masses of wires going into it.

Can i just push the rose into the roof space and then attach the wires that would have gone to the bulb into the new light fitting?

Thus using the ceiling rose as a junction box?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Will you be able to access the ceiling rose for faulting and service ?

The standard way is to terminate the wires on choc blocks, per the Wiki example below (ignore the 2 way switching, your is likely to be a single switch)

electrics:lighting:chockblockhar2w.gif

yes still be able to access it once in roof space - just seems the easiest way to do it if it is safe?

Can do the choc block way but would be more hassle?

What would you recommend?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You shouldnt be pushing the chocolate block up into the loft space, keep it under the cover of the new light if theres room. (I think Spark123 forgot to mention this.. :D :oops: ) If there isnt enough room then use a 6 pole 20A joint box to make the cables off and bring down one piece of T+E to connect to the new light. If you decide to go the "leave ceiling rose as joint box" method, bear in mind the flex to the lamp holder has no earth, you would need to change this for a 3 core flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back