Putting a House on a Hill - or How to build a house in 1913!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from a recent thread (talking about the benefits of keeping old books), I was remembering books from my childhood.
A set of books fondly remembered, but sadly missed, was "The Children's Encyclopedia", by Arthur Mee.

.... So, I had a look around eBay, and bought myself the full ten volume collection (probably from the interwar years).

Flipping through the pages, I came across a section that I had completely forgotten - "Putting A House On A Hill"
This is a short picture story of how Arthur Mee built his own house (...or had his house built ;) ) in 1913 - Eynsford Hill

I hope this is of interest to some :)

Page2525.png

Page2526.png

Page2528.png

Page2530.png

Page2532.png

Page2534.png

Page2536.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well, Mr Mee built house house in the same way a lot of people on Grand Designs do...

Surely you mean that he has his house built? Strikes me that the guy must have been very wealthy

I love the tied pole scaffolding (often Douglas fir or larch). I have a book which includes details how to build it (together with how to erect stagings for cranes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I didn't realise they used cow hair in the plaster. For some reason I thought it was only horsehair. Love the old electrical gear - 1913 was very early for electrical installations. Don't think electricity came to our village until early 30's In 1920 it seems only 6% of houses were wired up (quick google).

The "furnace" (strange how they have kept that term in US, and we now use "boiler") seems very small. When I was a nipper, for a time we lived in a flat in a huge very old house that had been divided up in to 7 flats. (house belonged to the company my Dad worked for, and they were company flats) In the cellar was a monster boiler that each flat had to take turns to look after week by week. I remember a black hole of a cellar accessed from outside, with this thing that seemed 10 feet tall standing in it that had to be kept fed with coal. Mind you, everything seems 10 feet tall to a 6 year old.

I love these old articles. I've got some practical householders and DIY mags from 50's. 'Twas a different world then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back