putting in a new staircase, what thickness load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, this is my first post and this is my scenario. Ive just bought a house that was formerly two cottages but has been made into one only by a doorway, i am at present converting them back into two.
one side of the house can be converted easily, more of a decoration, paint kitchen etc and its done.
The other side has had its staircase removed and the first floor has been renewed at some point, probably when the house was converted, but they have put the floor joists across the other way to which they originally ran so this means im going to have to cut about 900m off about 9 of them before the internal load bearing wall upon which they sit to get the staircase back where it was.
I was planning on building a load bearing wall but not sure whether a single concrete block construction (about 2.5m long, 2.5m high) or a double skin would have to be built to meet with building regs. can anyone give me any info on the best way to go forward. many thanks

Sponsored Links
you also need to check that the down stairs floor hasnt been altered and the wall removed as you cant just install a wall onto a floor withought checking the loadings

yes checked underneath as theres a cellar and the wall is there holding the ground floor beams, the stairs are actually going over the top of the cellar stairs.
im suprised a stud wall will be strong enough, if it is then ive stopped just in time as I was busy ripping the existing stud wall out as i thought it would be inadaquate. what sort of stud wall will take this fairly large load?

Sponsored Links
I was planning on building a load bearing wall but not sure whether a single concrete block construction (about 2.5m long, 2.5m high) or a double skin would have to be built to meet with building regs.
Do you have regs for this ? Could open a can of worms with this one , "change of use" on the current single dwelling springs to mind .

I was planning on building a load bearing wall but not sure whether a single concrete block construction (about 2.5m long, 2.5m high) or a double skin would have to be built to meet with building regs.
Do you have regs for this ? Could open a can of worms with this one , "change of use" on the current single dwelling springs to mind .
When you quote someone it is prudent not to delete the "
" markers, since doing so means their writing blends with yours. I thought you were hijacking for a minute and was about to alert moderators.

I thought you were hijacking for a minute and was about to alert moderators.

OMG, you would do that? :eek: :rolleyes:

Isn't your post about the quotes a hijack?

..... as is my post about your post? :eek:

Do i have building regs? It seems not, I thought since the property was being put back to its original state that as long as everything was done correctly and in accordance with the regs, then I would be ok, as for the 'change of use' i done a fair bit of research and it seems you dont need any planning permission to run your home as a holiday cottage. We are planning on renting our main home out during the summer months as do a few people in the dales and if we needed change of use each summer and then again to change back to a private dwelling then i suppose it would cause chaos.
I see how you say it could open up a can of worms and maybe thats why I may be slightly airing on the side of caution when it comes to informing the authoritys, so as long as i do everything by the book then im hoping that should the need arise i will be able to apply for retrospective planning, i think it costs an extra 20% of the original fee (which i might add is a complete rip off)
any thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back