Putting in a solid concrete floor

• Thread starter Deleted member 286438
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 286438

I've got a wooden floor with joists and am replacing it with concrete
What is the correct materials to use and the order of materials that you need as I've been told different things from different people?
It's dug out and ready to be started
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Hardcore, concrete, DPM, insulation, screed
How deep does the "hardcore" need to be?
Should the "hardcore" be MOT and I thought you were supposed to have insulation before the concrete slab.
Does the concrete get poured straight onto the DPM?
Where do you input the sand?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mot type 1, compacted. 75-100mm

If you want to pour concrete on top of DPM then you will want to put sand blinding ontop the mot type 1 , 50mm

Concrete 100mm,

Insulation

Screed 50mm.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the blinding sand, and just pour the concrete, then put the DPM under the insulation, it's saves imo an unecessary expense of sand.

Sponsored Links
Or do away with the screed and concrete it to finished floor level and finish with a float. Just another option and slightly easier to DIY than screed

Or do away with the screed and concrete it to finished floor level and finish with a float. Just another option and slightly easier to DIY than screed

Would you put the insulation under the concrete then?

To the op, are you going to install under floor heating?

Would you put the insulation under the concrete then?

To the op, are you going to install under floor heating?

I’ve done that before yeah. I’ve also screeded on concrete on insulation but never screeded on insulation. But then UFH wasn’t involved. And come to think of it you could also put the insulation on top of concrete and floating floor sheets of whatever on top, if you went the no screed route. Loads of options and have probably totally confused the OP but didn’t mean to

Minimum 100mm hardcore
25mm blinding sand
DPM
80mm PIR insulation or 150 EPS
100mm concrete
Minimum 50mm screed
1 building regs application

Block up vents
Ventilation to existing timber floors?
Non radon area or other ground contaminants?

Floor levels of timber floors are normally higher than the DPC in the walls

Minimum 100mm hardcore
Does hardcore have to be MOT?
80mm PIR insulation or 150 EPS
Would I be right in thinking that 80mm PIR is what the brand known as KingSpan is? Is EPS (Expanded Polystyrene insulation) as good and is there much of a price difference?
So I assume that because you need twice as much of the EPS then it's twice is good as KingSpan? Correct?
100mm concrete Minimum 50mm screed
Is 50mm screed plenty strong enough if it's a sand and cement screed? Is 100mm concrete also a minimum?

I'm looking for a traditional sand and cement screed

Yep. Give me careful tamping then getting the odd blister sliding around troweling it out later in the day on a piece of celotex, than a screed job especially if it’s a big area. Then again I’ve only ever done screed a handful of times and mixed it myself and it was flippin hard work. If I was doing these every day then may have a different view ... and there’s always SLC ;)

Kingspan (or a cheaper brand! ie quinn or ecotherm) is better than EPS. That's why you would need 150mm of EPS and only 75mm of PIR type...
EPS is much cheaper but you will need to dig down deeper...

Why are you converting to a concrete floor?

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back