Putting Lintel into supporting wall help Appreciated Please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok im inexperinced in this job and im looking for all the information i can get to avoid any surprises or pitfalls as im going along.

The ambition for all of this is to finish with my 40" lcd and electric fire flush or sunk into the supporting wall which in attached at the gable end side.

Now upto now my plan is to put either a concrete lintel or steel rsj just about a foot under my ceiling. I plan on drilling 50mm holes every 2 feet and inserting 50mm steel round bar. About 18-20 inches either side i will support with a plank of wood supported either side of the wall by 3 acrowprops each side.

I believe this to known as pining. Now im reasonable comfortable upto this point. I will be from here cutting out a 5ft x 5ft section out of the wall allowing my lcd and electric fire to be sunk flush and inserting wood supports and attaching plasterboard where the lcs and fire seperate.

This is my concern, i need to go into the cavity at least 7" to make the lcd and fire flush. What i know is i have a cavity wall form inside to outside my walls are are 300mm thick.

What i dont know is how deep my cavity wall is and what are the consequences for removing 5ft square section out of my wall. Will this create a problem with damp?

I suppose i could just cut out the section for both lcd and fire and leave the remaining cavity around it would this be a better option.

Thank you for your time.
Cheers
Leigh

Sponsored Links
You will end up with a cold spot and a condensation trap.

To counter this you would need at least 125mm of celotex fixed to this side of the external wall.

Your idea is bonkers and flawed.

You would be better off building a false wall in front of the existing and thus 'sinking' the tele and fire this way.

It won’t meet Building Regs without additional insulation as stated, is likely to cause serious problems with damp &, depending on the size of the wall, may even bring you foul of “changing more than 24% of a thermal element” regulation. Your cavity should be at least 50mm up to 100mm depending on the age of the property but most likely 75mm.

I agree it’s a completely daft idea & you should consider that what you’re proposing will very likely make your property all but unsaleable. With a 5ft x 5ft hole into the cavity, I certainly wouldn’t buy it & any surveyor for a potential buyer is likely crease up on the floor when they see it! If you really want recessed, buy one of the new (& expensive) slim panel TV’s & build a false wall as noseall suggests.

Forgot to add that enclosing your flat panel TV will cause it to overheat & it will probably fry!

well i cant say im not dissapointed but this post and those replies just probably saved me a lot of money, problems and time.

Im glad for these replies as ive had my reservations about doing this. I work in the hire trade and spoken to several council workers who have all told me its fine. That i dont need planning permisson and building regs which ive read you would need.

Basically ive been told several times that this isnt a problem. Anyway thats why im not a professional and had my suspicions. I was also told i wasnt changing the structure of the property and i thought i clearly was.

So in short its a no go!

What about just sinking in my fire in about 4" and or partially my Lcd tv?

Thank you again.

Sponsored Links
All that hassle for a flippin' tele? You need a proper hobby mate.

What about just sinking in my fire in about 4" and or partially my Lcd tv?
How can you sink it “partially" in the wall; the inner cavity blocks are only 4 ½” thick & may be only 3” so your still going to end up in the cavity. Forget it, it’s a load of work for naff all gain; & don’t listen to your mates, they either haven’t got a clue or are winding you up!

Put a projector on the opposite wall - hey presto - sunken TV look!

With modern keystone correction projectors you can put the projector pretty much anywhere, so you may be able to hide it away somewhere, or recess it into an internal wall in a much much smaller opening.

Gary

You could build a false wall inside, so a stud frame with plasterboard on the inside to house your TV.. ok you lose the depth of the TV from your room but it would be simplest.

You could build a false wall inside, so a stud frame with plasterboard on the inside to house your TV.. ok you lose the depth of the TV from your room but it would be simplest.

Good idea Stat, why didn't i think of that... :p

Come now you dont expect me to read every line you post,.. :LOL:
Least we both come up with the right option!

Thanks i had more infomation out of these few posts in 2weeks of talking to various people. Just shows you people who blag there way through life claiming to know something they really dont.

Found the info on here invaluable.

I like the projector idea and will certainly consider for future but the false studed wall seems the most obvious choice and the more i think about it the more realistic it sounds.

Cheers for everyone whos taken the time to post very pleased.

Static";p="1552143 said:
Or me :LOL:
Come now you dont expect me to read every line you post,.. :LOL:
I would advise it; always dangerous not to know the whole story!
Least we both come up with the right option!
Well that makes 3 of us then ;)

the false studed wall seems the most obvious choice and the more i think about it the more realistic it sounds.

Cheers for everyone whos taken the time to post very pleased.
Don’t forget to read the manufacturers instructions for ventilation or, as warned, you could fry it.

yes fair comment id thought about this once it was mentioned. i think my plan will be to to maybe 2 metal grill airvent s into the plaster board but im worried they may look a little obstrustive and ideas what else is possible when it comes to ventilating confined areas.

Cheers :eek:

ideas what else is possible when it comes to ventilating confined areas
Could you put a brushless, thermostatically controlled extractor fan behind the false wall venting outside? Silent SR100 claims to be very quiet. You might add an external air inlet beneath the electrical items if you don't want to leave gaps around them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back