putting shower back on the wall after tileing has been done!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had electrician do most of the work but he has not returned to fix the shower back onto the wall after tileing has been done!!, please give me some guidence on what to do! do i need to screwit back on to the bit whare the tile isnt on or do i just silicone it up/on? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if you are talking about screwing the shower physically on the wall, or the electrical connection part?

Also, I assume you are just re-connecting the same shower that was removed for the tiling?

As far a re-attaching the unit, just screw it on the tiles. The enclosure has a seal so that water should not get in. Normally the tiles go completely behind the unit and it then gets surface mounted on the tiles.

To reconnect its live neutral and earth.
Make sure the cable conductors are clean or cut it back to bright copper and make sure the terminations are good and tight.

If you still not sure, post a photo or look up the installation instructions from the maker's website.

do i need to screwit back on to the bit whare the tile isnt on or do i just silicone it up/on?
Neither. The whole wall should be tiled, so what is this bit without tiles?
They don't need sealing to the wall either, the shower unit will already have the required IP rating. Water from the shower head shouldn't be pouring onto the shower unit anyway.

The only parts without tile should be small holes where the pipe and cables are.

The correct method to install a shower is either:
1. Tile and grout entire wall
2. Cut holes for the pipe and cable
3. Feed pipe and cable through from behind the wall
4. Fix shower to wall.
OR (if no access behind wall)
1. Install pipe and cable
2. Tile entire wall, cutting appropriate holes for the pipe and cable as you go.
3. Grout the tiles
4. Fix shower to wall.

there has been a tile left out for the wires and pipes can i just fill it with concrete and use a drill to screw it back onto wall? the drill pieces keep breaking when going into concrete! do i need a hammer drill? :eek: x

Sponsored Links
I am not very good at this diy!! lol what tools do i need to drill through the tiles? :oops:

there has been a tile left out for the wires and pipes can i just fill it with concrete and use a drill to screw it back onto wall? the drill pieces keep breaking when going into concrete! do i need a hammer drill? :eek: x

What type of drill bits are you using?! You need masonry drill bits and a decent hammer drill to go through concrete, although an SDS drill is even better. I expect you are more likely drilling into plaster and brick than concrete, but the tools required are still the same.

I am not very good at this diy!! lol what tools do i need to drill through the tiles? :oops:

That would be a glass/tile drill. For the love of god don't try and use it on hammer, otherwise there wont be much left of the tile or drill bit.

If you have a whole tile missing, it would be best to cut and fit a spare tile around where the wiring and pipe exit the wall, grout it, and then also put a little sealant around the cable and pipe to prevent any water runoff getting behind the tiles where it will cause problems. If the tiler didn't cut around the services himself then he was just being lazy, and it might be worth asking him back to finish the job properly.

Normal SDS (or none sds masonary if thats what you use) bit will go through ordinary tiles easy enugh if its just few holes you need, just remember to switch off hammeraction first!!, and make sure you knock the screw enough to push the plug right through the tile and into the wall before you start tighteningn it, if you tighten it with the plug in the tile, then that will crack the tile too!

And yes, fill in the last tile before fixing up the shower as mentioned above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back