supplementary bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just finished a bathroom and the electrician ran some earth cable through for the supplementary bonding and left it in a role so i ran it upto where the sink is he has came back today and said it needed to be run to the shower radiator sink and bath but cant be done now because its all tiled even though he could have done it before it was all boxed in instead of expecting me to do it when i have no clew about bonding! just querying wether one fix under the sink would be sufficient it its all copper in the bathroom but it all joins plastic in the loft back to the main stop cock where it is bonded by the rising main. he can manage to get a fix under the bath so just leaves the radiator and shower with no bond will he be able to sign the work off ?

Sponsored Links
Does the existing electrical installation in the bathroom comply with 17th edition? I.e. are all circuits in the bathroom protected by 30mA RCD? If they are and you can guarantee your disconnection times, the bonding is not required.

the house is a complete refurb the elctrician is there doing a complete rewire and fitting a new main board if that helps?

the house is a complete refurb the elctrician is there doing a complete rewire and fitting a new main board if that helps?

In which case he should know that all circuits in the bathroom must be protected by an RCD. If he does this, and the main earths are up to scratch, then he does not need supp bonding in the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
its his 1st complete rewire :eek: so if i think on the positive side and presume hes being over cautious

If the pipework isn't extraneous then supplementary bonding it isn't making it safer.

Do I understand that it is copper up to the loft and then becomes plastic?
If so the better place to do the bonding would be there.

(If he still wants to do it, of course)

yea thats right the rising main is in the kitchen goes up to the loft which is copper( its a bungalow) runs along the loft where half way along it is plastic then as it goes back into the bathroom goes back to copper

Did he ask you to run this cable? If so he should have told you where to run it.
If not then what the heck were you playing at interfering with his work?

I repeat

In which case he should know that all circuits in the bathroom must be protected by an RCD. If he does this, and the main earths are up to scratch, then he does not need supp bonding in the bathroom.

If the electrician does not know this then he should not be doing any electrical work

He might know that but still supp bond regardless.
I do.
Remember BS7671 states min standards.
supp bonding MAY be relaxed if all the other conditions are met.
They do not HAVE to be relaxed.
Maybe he is mitigating against the possible7% failure rate of RCDs .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back