sealing a shower with silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm just about finished putting in a new shower in our bathroom. I have read the instructions several times but no where does it say about putting silicone sealant aroundthe edge of the shower 'back plate' and the tiled wall.......

Does anyone know if I have to seal this join with silicone? I would presume that I do to make the shower moisture tight if the room steams up?......

Any clarification would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you have posted in the wrong forum, but personally I would definately seal where the shower meets the wall with silicon, I would also do any vertical tiled corners as the grout seems to crack & leak there. It is worth spending extra on a good quality silicon for the bathroom(anti-mould type)

And get it right first time - once the shower gets wet it will be near-impossible to dry it all out in the little crevices so you can re-seal it!

Polycell do a bath sealent, its like a strip thats self adisive... It works perfectly and it much neater than using silicone... might be worth checking out, i personally sealed with slicone from underneath where i could, pushed some down from the top, and then used the polycell stuff... its now water tight.

Sponsored Links
I wasnt to sure where to post this question, I'm mainly concerned about shorting the circuits so posted in the electic forum....

anyway cheers!

I will cover the whole thing with silicone.....I've got one of those german silicone seal stencils....Would recommened them to anyone :D

I've never come across a shower unit with silicone round it...

Showers are made for installation in wet areas. So if they are installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions you should be OK.

I have never yet seen any manufacturer recommend sealing the back plate of a shower to the wall.

Can you imagine how hard it will be to remove a siliconed shower when it goes wrong??

jj4091 said:
I think you have posted in the wrong forum, but personally I would definately seal where the shower meets the wall with silicon, I would also do any vertical tiled corners as the grout seems to crack & leak there. It is worth spending extra on a good quality silicon for the bathroom(anti-mould type)
Sorry I think I misunderstood your question I thoght you were talking about a shower cubicle rather than just an electric shower unit.

1.7 The Mira Advance ATL must be fi tted onto the fi nished wall surface i.e. on top of
the tiles. Do not block the air ventilation gaps around the sides of the unit, either
by tiling up to the sides of the unit or by using a sealant around the case (Small
pillars moulded on to the back of the case allow air circulation). The appliance
is designed to be ventilated. Failure to do this may cause product failure.

from the installation instructions :idea:

I realise this is out of date, but if you do seal the unit you are restricting air flow, some manufacturers do not recommend it and if you chose to seal it all round water has nowhere to escape and therefore could flood behind the wall where your 15mm pipe comes in, or even hit the electric cable depending on where it is.

7 years down the line, I recon the OP has made a decision by now on what he is going to do! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back