putting together a small DIY (toolkit) for the flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to put together a small DIY kit for the flat what should I get for around £100 I know you get what you pay for but once the work on my flat's done it'll be in the back of the cupboard gathering dust ;)

Sponsored Links
You may be best off visiting one of those cheapy shops that tend to be run by Gentlemen from India or Pakistan

They generally sell Rolson tools, cheap and nasty but fit the bill, screwdrivers and a hammer will be a starting point.

I would say, rather buy a few basic good quality tools. A good set of screwdrivers, in Chrome Vanadium steel, is the best investment you can start with. The DIY chains and supermarkets often have large sets at a very modest price. Don't buy any that don't say Chrome Vanadium.

You can also get a set of pliers and pincers. Again go for the alloy steel ones. Carbon steel is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. They are cheaper in sets than individually. If you can get the ones with red and yellow insulated handles they can be used for certain electrical work, and are more comfortable. However the insulated screwdrivers are more difficult to use than plain ones, so I would avoid them for the moment.

Ultracheap sets of tools are available, often labelled as containing vast numbers of items. They are usually rubbish, and are packed up with stuff you will never need. anything with the Rolson name on it is rubbish.

Next you will need a rechargable drill with hammer action. I got an 18volt one from Wickes. It will not be as good or as powerful as a more expensive one, but is pretty essential for DIY work. It will probably come with a starter set of Twist and Masonry bits, which you will also need. There will be some on sale after Christmas as they are popular presents.

And a claw hammer and a torch.

And some plasplugs (I always use the brown ones, you do not need a big range) and some screws. I mostly use BZP countersunk 35mm x 4mm but it is more economical to buy them by the hundred in the sizes you need, than a pack with half a dozen of lots of sizes. The small plastic bags are a very expensive way to buy.

That will probably use up your £100.

You can get other tools when you need them.

I do have some stuff pliers etc from my days on the tools as a service tec even managed to keep a hold of my 18volt boch hammer action drill with SDS some ladders and other stuff most of the tools I have are spanners/sockets for working on my scooters. I do have volt meter and bosch stud detector lying around

Sponsored Links
Do need some screw drivers though I always find that I manange to round the heads of no matter what they are made of :eek:

Use exactly the right size driver for the screw, give the screwhead a little tap first to 'unstick' them.

You haven't mentioned what jobs you will be doing in your flat. In any case, get some masking tape and a tube of no more nails.

Re: Rolson. Their stubby hammer and stanley bladed lock knife are essentials in my tool box.

If you're looking for a decent set of screwdrivers then the Wera multi pack is good, about £20 for 8 or so 5hit hot S/drivers

well you sound savii so pay a visit to your local boot fair for some old but decent tools that you think you may need,a lot better quality but for cheap as chips price.

An item that hasn't been mentioned and one which I wouldn't be without is a spirit level. If you buy a cheap one though, do test it for accuracy.

Buy one of the made up tool kits from Screwfix or Argos

And a small lithium screw driver (stays charged while unused) and/or a light 12v cordless driver/drill

419Eq0t%2BdYL._SS500_.jpg

A good start! :LOL:

For screwdrivers id go for Bacho or Stanley fat max ive used both these brands and they are really good quality tools.
A decent 16oz claw hammer is an essential item i like the all in one steel shaft types like the Estwing, They are very well balanced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back