What do you lot have in your toolboxes?

Sponsored Links
hmm...for general DIY I have the following (doesn't all fit in a box though - I've filled a cupboard!)

• Estwing Claw hammer.
    Decent hand saw - I've got a spear and Jackson Predator 14 ppi for fine and a Stanley jetcut for everything else.
    3 chisels - I've got cheap ones as they get used for all sorts!
    Small stanley Surform - for shaping plasterboard
    retractable stanley knife and heavy duty blades
    Cordless combi drill (18v)
    Flex shaft for drill
    Set of good driver bits - I've got a full set of bosch bits and some additional pozi/prodrive bits
    Decent drill bits - HSS and masonry
    Decent Pozi/Prodrive screws - I got a trade case of screwfix turbogold at a knockdown price but avoid the cheapy trade packs from the DIY sheds
    Good tape measure
    Set/combi square
    Plumbline
    Spirit level
    Adjustable spanners (x2)
    Clamps - spring, G and speed
    Cartridge gun - 350? ml size - not 310 which is the standard 'consumer' size and won't take a tube of gripfill without chopping the end of the tube off!
    Scraper
    Bolster
    2lb lump hammer
    Aerosol Plaster (for cuts etc. - not for walls!)
    Electrical screwdriver(s) and pliers

I could go on!

How can anyone tell this lad what tools to buy when we don't even know what jobs will be done?

Surely the answer is to get to tools for the job - a hammer if the work involves hammering, and a drill if the work involve drilling etc.

Why give a big list of tools which may never be needed, or will divert money from tools that are?

And why waste money on a single [expensive] quality tool when the same money could buy several cheapo's which will still allow work to be done?

How can anyone tell this lad what tools to buy when we don't even know what jobs will be done?

Surely the answer is to get to tools for the job - a hammer if the work involves hammering, and a drill if the work involve drilling etc.

Why give a big list of tools which may never be needed, or will divert money from tools that are?

And why waste money on a single [expensive] quality tool when the same money could buy several cheapo's which will still allow work to be done?

Well I posted what I use for DIY etc. - and not all that I have (I've got numerous power tools as well)

as far as hand tools go buying quality will save you money on bad cuts etc. for a basic toolkit surely a hammer, saw, drill and level are absolute minimum requirements?

Sponsored Links
hmm...for general DIY I have the following (doesn't all fit in a box though - I've filled a cupboard!)

• Estwing Claw hammer.
    Decent hand saw - I've got a spear and Jackson Predator 14 ppi for fine and a Stanley jetcut for everything else.
    3 chisels - I've got cheap ones as they get used for all sorts!
    Small stanley Surform - for shaping plasterboard
    retractable stanley knife and heavy duty blades
    Cordless combi drill (18v)
    Flex shaft for drill
    Set of good driver bits - I've got a full set of bosch bits and some additional pozi/prodrive bits
    Decent drill bits - HSS and masonry
    Decent Pozi/Prodrive screws - I got a trade case of screwfix turbogold at a knockdown price but avoid the cheapy trade packs from the DIY sheds
    Good tape measure
    Set/combi square
    Plumbline
    Spirit level
    Adjustable spanners (x2)
    Clamps - spring, G and speed
    Cartridge gun - 350? ml size - not 310 which is the standard 'consumer' size and won't take a tube of gripfill without chopping the end of the tube off!
    Scraper
    Bolster
    2lb lump hammer
    Aerosol Plaster (for cuts etc. - not for walls!)
    Electrical screwdriver(s) and pliers

I could go on!

I'd say that's a pretty good basic list for general diy. Can't agree more about the saws, a good one is an absolute asset, but they don't stay top sharp forever. My cordless combi drill has been invaluable but I have a cheapo SDS for the occasional heavier stuff.

ever heard of enjoying yourself?
Do you mean like buying good quality new tools? If so, then yes.

Or do you mean thoese things I enjoy doing when I'm not working? If so, then yes, but scratching amongst rubbish at boot sales isn't one of them.

Each to his own. :shrug:

i quite agree with buying the best you can softus, im not a beliver in buying throw away junk. The point i was trying to make is that for a 16 year old lad who may be on a limited budget and may not know exactly what he wants to do, buying decent second hand tools may be a good way to start and to learn, rather than making expensive mistakes.

as for boot sales, well it gets him out in the fresh air, something a lot of teenagers seem scared of!

Cheers for the comments - and interesting read! I agree, I have always been a big believe in buying the best with the money available. I'll probably be sticking to the well known tried-and-tested brands such as Draper and Stanley (hence buying the DeWalt toolbox), and avoid the cheap Homebase own brand stuff.

As for the some of the comments asking what I plan to use them for, at the moment its just general DIY use, however I would like them to last!

Cheers, Jack :D

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend buying ANY tool until you need it.

Build yourself up in experience & ability and as the requirement for a tool emerges or becomes obvious (and assuming its a tool you're likely to use again) THEN is the time to buy it.

Buy the best you can afford, and stick to brand names unless its a tool which is very likely to get damaged or lost. If you're only gonna need it once, try borrowing, or build a relationship with another tradesman and go halves ..... I've done this with a cement mixer, as neither of us have a permanent use for it, but they're handy !

Screwdrivers - I have two : They're both the same and are Stanley with interchangable bits. My powertools are all (with the exception of a 110v Hilti) DeWalt 18v, bought as & when the need justifiably arose. Almost everything else is brand stoff like Bahco, Stanley, Knipex, etc..

The only 'cheapies' I buy are chisels (wood) as I'm not a pro joiner - by any means - and chisels tend to get used for other things as well as just wood :LOL:

Get down Lidl's when they have tool stuff on special offer. Better quality than you'd expect for the price!

I'd say, for starters:

Saws (3): Junior hacksaw, general purpose handsaw and tenon saw.

A decent quality screwdriver with changeable bits.
Pliers
Adjustable spanner
Couple of small speedclamps.
Workmate
Battery drill/driver
3 chisels
Tape measure
Combi square
600mm Level
Rolson Knife (the one that takes stanley blades)
Gaffa and leccy tape
cable ties (always handy)
Tube of no more nails + gun
Small claw hammer
Bottle opener (for when it's time to kick back after hard days work)

My first tool was a swiss army knife when I was a lad. Still got it, still use it. :cool: Got the usual bottle/can openers as well as scissors and a really good woodsaw.

JDcase.jpg

... save up and buy good quality tools ... a selection of screwdrivers of both flat blade and cross head ...

I agree with others, buy good quality and buy them as you need them. Do make sure, though, that you buy Pozidrive screwdrivers if you need those rather than Philips, because "cross head" drivers are not interchangeable.

[pedant]Not entirely true, pozi and pro drive are interchangeable[/pedant]

Point taken (geddit?).

I should have said that Pozidrive don't fit Philips, and vice versa (except that sometimes one can just about get away with it).

Not in my toolbox - but starting out after leaving home this was the most useful thing I had DIY wise, it wont make you an expert but gives you a grasp of the basics of most things !

9780276442315.jpg

My work toolbox does not contain many tools -

Stanley knife
End cutters
Side cutting pliers
Count up LED timer
Rothenberger Mk 3 MAPP torch
1" Blue duck tape
Parcel tape
Cable ties

And thats about it !

Depends what you want to do really?

Builder = trowel, level, tape measure, hammer, screwdrivers
Mechanic = hammer, wd-40 and a roll of gaffer tape

electrician = certification to suck an egg (part p)

remember with tools

BUY CHEAP BUY TWICE and hope when they fail you don't lose a knuckle or finger!!!!!

This picture is a bit out of date now, but these are most of my hand tools I use for work.

IMGP2153-1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back