Putting up a shelf (probably easy)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have some shelves to put up, that haven't come with any fittings/screws etc or fitting instructions.

Here is a picture of one end. The other end has the same thing.

How would I put this up? The wall is in the bedroom and it's an exterior wall - brick.

I have a variety of screws and plugs, but are brackets required, and if so, what type?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_174403.jpg
    IMG_20210218_174403.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
From what I can see there, you’ll need a spirit level to get the shelf completely horizontal, and get someone to mark through those elongated holes with a pencil. Then drill 6mm holes with a masonry bit and hammer drill, insert a 6mm plastic plug and screw the things up.
Give us a shot of the complete unit though first!
John :)

Thanks John, much appreciated. Here are photos of the front and the back of the shelf. The pencil and drilling parts are no problem, but I'm failing to grasp how the shelf attaches to the wall!

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_184047.jpg
    IMG_20210218_184047.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20210218_184101.jpg
    IMG_20210218_184101.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 79
Hard to see on the picture but those black items on the back should have a slot that terminates in a hole.
You could drill and screw into the wall, both holes level.
The holes would be spaced exactly the same distance apart as the slots
Then offer up the shelf so the hole allows the screwhead to enter and slide the shelf down.

You can get an app for a phone that beeps when it's level

Sponsored Links
Ditto. Beat me to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tigercubrider. That's what I thought initially. Essentially the shelf would be resting on the screwhead. It just doesn't feel like the most secure way. Maybe it is though.

Hard to see on the picture but those black items on the back should have a slot that terminates in a hole.
You could drill and screw into the wall, both holes level.
The holes would be spaced exactly the same distance apart as the slots
Then offer up the shelf so the hole allows the screwhead to enter and slide the shelf down.

You can get an app for a phone that beeps when it's level
An app on a phone for levelling :eek:
Ye gods, its time I packed it in :sleep:

Those black plastic inserts have a keyhole type of slot, so a screw either passes right through or you ‘hook it on ‘.

Those black plastic inserts have a keyhole type of slot, so a screw either passes right through or you ‘hook it on ‘.

They are keyholes, so the OP will need to ensure the screw heads will fit in the hole, yet be big enough in the slot. The distance between the fixings will need to be drilled very accurately too - it's also bound to be a lot of fun hooking the shelf onto the screw heads.

An app on a phone for levelling :eek:
Ye gods, its time I packed it in :sleep:
Yep. Mine even has a green bubble...

...I won't, however, be getting rid of my 2 metre Stabila bubble stick just yet, then. I said much the same when laser levels started to proliferate...

I know a phone app sounds daft but trust me.
You nearly always have your phone on you and it works
You don't even have to see it

Yep. Mine even has a green bubble...

...I won't, however, be getting rid of my 2 metre Stabila bubble stick just yet, then. I said much the same when laser levels started to proliferate...
Speaking of level bubbles, I have an old Stanley level, 40 years old at least the bubbles are replaceable,I managed to find some on fleebay, they did take 6 months to get here but do the job... Ok ok in the meantime I caved in and brought two stabila levels ha!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back