PV Inverters causing issues with other equipment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Is it possible for a cheap or faulty solar PV Inverter to cause errors on other equipment?

By this I'm specifically thinking Heat-Pumps which contain an inverter of their own to convert the mains voltage to the 3Phase signal needed by heat-pump compressors.

Been told that when an error code on the heat-pump relating to inverter/frequency issues appears that it can be caused by dodgey solar PV equipment. And was wandering if this would be testable on standard non electricians test equipment.

I've got a multimeter that can read out frequency, and I cant remember ever seeing a mains supply show anything other than 50Hz. But if there was an issue with PV inverters could this change that measurement?

Sponsored Links
There might possibly be a problem with waveform shape, but solar inverters connected to the grid synchronise to the grid frequency

(So do generators, but in a different way)

Hi all.

Is it possible for a cheap or faulty solar PV Inverter to cause errors on other equipment?

By this I'm specifically thinking Heat-Pumps which contain an inverter of their own to convert the mains voltage to the 3Phase signal needed by heat-pump compressors.

Been told that when an error code on the heat-pump relating to inverter/frequency issues appears that it can be caused by dodgey solar PV equipment. And was wandering if this would be testable on standard non electricians test equipment.

I've got a multimeter that can read out frequency, and I cant remember ever seeing a mains supply show anything other than 50Hz. But if there was an issue with PV inverters could this change that measurement?
IMOP extremely unlikely. Inverters have to pass strict harmonic emissions standards in order for them to be acceptable by the DNO for connection to the grid. Power side internal failures would cause complete failure rather than pollution. So unless you are talking a rogue installation then no. A more likely rogue device is a PC/Laptop power supply or electronic lighting ballast but that would not normally generate enough intefering noise for your fault. Are you asking because you have a problem with your heat pump ?

Sponsored Links
you asking because you have a problem with your heat pump ?
Thanks!

No, It was more on talking to a few heat-pump installers that claimed they had issues with solar PV systems causing the heat-pump to throw up heat-pump inverter/frequency faults. Which I found very strange, so thought I'd ask the experts if that's something that's even possible. And as you've said it seems extremely unlikely.

I expect it would be more likely they've had poor connections or frayed wiring to the heat pump inverter due to the vibration given off by compressors and the problems been intermittent so they've chased the rabbit down the hole looking for explanations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back