PVC Door worn lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I cannot lock my pvc back door.

I can lift handle and all locking parts engage. I have checked this with door open.

I lift handle to engage multi locks and then put in key with is at the 6 O Clock position. I turn it anticlockwise. Normally it would go back the the 6 O Clock position where I can then remove the key. This happens whether door is shut or not.

Now it is only going back to the 7 O Clock position not quite making the full 360 degrees of turn. Hence I cannot remove the key to complete the locking process.

I have given it a good squirt of WD40. Didn't know that this was a bad move until I read forum about ten mins ago.

I am hoping that its a quick fix i.e new cylinder and not a full lock and locksmith call out.
Regards

John

Sponsored Links
If it works while the door is open then its a problem with the adjustment, it may have dropped slightly or just expanded with heat, normally if the key doesnt turn fully round then the handle hasnt quite gone up enough, a dropped door usually causes this.

If you have these type of hinges then an use an allen key (6mm i think)under the hinge pins to lift the door a bit

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=11&sub_category_id=80&range_id=229#

If its the barrel at fault then theres plenty of recent threads on how to remove barrels, how to measure etc etc and they're quite cheap too, no need for a locksmith

If you cannot remove the key with the door open or closed, then its the cylinder at fault. Sounds like the cam has slipped (its the black section in the middle of the cylinder), preventing the key from doing a full turn.

Replace it - many threads on this subject.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back