Pyrography.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone on here do pyrography as a hobby, and if so, can you recommend a decent kit?

Not looking for an expensive bells and whistle set just one that will engrave names on some wood, (pine), bases I am making for a few decanters.

Sponsored Links
On the odd occasion I've done this I used my general soldering iron.

A chap in the village does some fantastic pictures onto wood as a semi-pro, charging sometimes £100's, he uses a rather more adjustable soldering iron.

Hope you get some help on this. It's something I have a fringe interest in as well as wood carving.

Have watched a few videos on YT and bought a cheap kit so going to have a go next weekend.

Sponsored Links
I've got a Peter Childs unit; picked it up 2nd hand off eBay. Great little unit, but I haven't done much with it later.

I've bought an Antex for £24.50 off Amazon. Has good reviews and comes with ahost of different tips.
I'm sure if I can't do it my lovely new wife will have a go. She is quite an arty/crafts type of person. :)

Good luck @conny let us see the results.you could always get a dremel type of tool and engrave/carve the wood. Stain the recesses and a quick coat over to fully cover then 30 seconds with a RO sander and it's even neater.

Jon

Good luck @conny let us see the results.you could always get a dremel type of tool and engrave/carve the wood. Stain the recesses and a quick coat over to fully cover then 30 seconds with a RO sander and it's even neater.

Pyrography works by using a type of soldering iron to burn the wood, so no staining needed

Sorry guys, not had time due to other things taking precedence. When, (if), I manage to get to have a proper go I'll let you know. Had a bit of a scribble when I first got it to see what it was like and it does look promising. Heats up very fast and easy to hold similar to a pen so not disappointed with first test. But will need to practice before embarking on a proper job. LOL.

i know of a bloke who does it using a magnifing glass and solar power , must have loads of patience and a very steady hand

Sponsored Links
Back