Qualification versus job

Sponsored Links
Diyisfun said:
Qualifications are necessary when young, the older you get the less important.
ive been looking at going to oz and the quals come in handy there, also most jobs advertised for sites now are asking for cscs cards, they arehealth and safety/skilled cards of different colours , gold for fully skilled tradesmen/women. when the work starts to dry up on sites who do you think will get a start over the phone the fella with the blue card or gold.ive had my quals for 15 yers and ive never needed them to get a job and ill agree, if you know your job wether youve got quals or not you will get work, but i think things are changing especially health and safety, qualifications are starting to be recognised and its not before time. youve got got tossers training tossers to teach other tossers.

Sponsored Links
jbonding said:
Diyisfun said:
ive been looking at going to oz and the quals come in handy there, also most jobs advertised for sites now are asking for cscs cards, they arehealth and safety/skilled cards of different colours , gold for fully skilled tradesmen/women. when the work starts to dry up on sites who do you think will get a start over the phone the fella with the blue card or gold.ive had my quals for 15 yers and ive never needed them to get a job and ill agree, if you know your job wether youve got quals or not you will get work, but i think things are changing especially health and safety, qualifications are starting to be recognised and its not before time. youve got got t*****s training t*****s to teach other t*****s.
The Cheapest!

kendor wrote "the cheapest". you pay for what you get and rarely you get quality cheap especially in the building game. "who do you think will get a start over the phone the fella with the blue card or gold." it doesnt matter what the wage is, would you pay an unqualified childminder for your kids just because there cheap?

jbonding said:
kendor wrote "the cheapest". you pay for what you get and rarely you get quality cheap especially in the building game. "who do you think will get a start over the phone the fella with the blue card or gold." it doesnt matter what the wage is, would you pay an unqualified childminder for your kids just because there cheap?
certainly seems the case these days cost over quality, cost wins time and time again, why do you think there are so many cowboys around these days?

As a little aside, I'm a little bemused by who people call an engineer and a technician.

Now I'm not starting an argument or putting anyone down but I thought an engineer was a professional who has a degree and actually engineers and designs things. Where as a technician is the person who installs and tinkers with things when they are broken.

So shouldn't it be heating technician and not heating engineer?

There is are a lot more rules about who are engineers and who are technicians in the states and Oz. In the UK it seams anyone can call themselves an engineer.

What do other people think?

bennettp23 said:
As a little aside, I'm a little bemused by who people call an engineer and a technician.

Now I'm not starting an argument or putting anyone down but I thought an engineer was a professional who has a degree and actually engineers and designs things. Where as a technician is the person who installs and tinkers with things when they are broken.

So shouldn't it be heating technician and not heating engineer?

There is are a lot more rules about who are engineers and who are technicians in the states and Oz. In the UK it seams anyone can call themselves an engineer.

What do other people think?

I agree wholeheartedly. Apparently it's all down to the Engineering Council not putting their foot down when they had the chance. They could have made it like most other countries where you have to be professionally accredited to use the term, just like "Dr". Now anyone who can even describe a spanner slaps the word "Engineer" on their business cards.

I'm not too bothered professionally as I'm not a proper engineer (I'm a "systems engineer", so I use more physics and maths than I do engineering), but I am considering going for chartered status so you can bet I'll be very miffed at it then. :LOL:

Of course, real engineers often include their BEng, MEng, IEng, CEng or what have you, so other engineers know they are engineers. I'm yet to see "CEng" written on a van (although I am aware of at least one CEng-wielding electrician on this forum).

I left school at 15 with NO QUALIFICATIONS (sp)

an started at the local water board as a tallow/ferrule lad , I then got to "sweat em " an then did leak detection work ,many a very cold winters day spent waist deep in frozen cuttings baling /splashing ,an "sweating"
I then defected after getting my city an guilds to the smell crew at the local Gas Board ,
I trained at Hollinwood Oldham as Service Engineer ,spent ten years doing that then jumped ship again an set up as bathroom fitter , I am still on the tools when not hungover ,I have 4 lads working for me ,an 2 apprientices (1 is a girl , an shes very good /neat )

If I could do it all again work wise I would love to be a writer ,screen /tv writing /plays ...lol

B.O.B DOLE said:
Diyisfun said:

WHAT A LOAD OF CR.AP these so called young lads with a libary full of
quals and a mouth full of bu.ll sh.it dont know 5% of the things i know in my provesion

But they probably know how to spell and articulate themselves without having to resort to swearing.

Sponsored Links
Back