Part-P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the differance between having full Part - P (A,B and C) and the qualifications that allow you to become (or call yourself) a qualified electrician?

or what cant you do with only Part-p (a,b and c).

MODS - please leave this in this forum as i understand plumb speak better than sparky speak ;) after all the question is coming from a plumber who is curious about a plumbing related qualification.

Sponsored Links
bster said:
What is the differance between having full Part - P (A,B and C) and the qualifications that allow you to become (or call yourself) a qualified electrician?

or what cant you do with only Part-p (a,b and c).

MODS - please leave this in this forum as i understand plumb speak better than sparky speak ;) after all the question is coming from a plumber who is curious about a plumbing related qualification.

It`s a very grey area at the moment I believe, Part P will enable the likes of heating engineers & such like to be allowed to undertake basic electrical duties, the likes of which we have been doing for years unregulated. We don`t have to be full Electricians I believe to carry out our duties, but I believe it is very difficult to pass. I can`t cope with it myself, I just employ a spark to certify, I have enough to worry about.

Full scope enables you to change a consummer unit if no other work is required.where as limited scope only allows you to carry out electrical work relevant to the task your completing and change a consummer unit if the addition of a new cct wont fit in the old unit.
Each level for limited b,c and their parts have there own identifcation as to what electrical work can be carried out.level c(lighing).level b(new ring)etc
You dont need part p for periodics either as no remedial work is carried out during the inspection.

lcgs said:
Full scope enables you to change a consummer unit if no other work is required.where as limited scope only allows you to carry out electrical work relevant to the task your completing and change a consummer unit if the addition of a new cct wont fit in the old unit.
Each level for limited b,c and their parts have there own identifcation as to what electrical work can be carried out.level c(lighing).level b(new ring)etc
You dont need part p for periodics either as no remedial work is carried out during the inspection.

Pick the bones out of that :rolleyes:

Like I say I don`t get involved, as long as there is a fused spur in the immediate area, I think we are allowed to wire into that, & I always use a wireless programmable roomstat (if model allows) so I`m happy ;) ( someones going to pull me over polarity checks ,etc ,now)

Sponsored Links
same here i just wire combi's onto a plug and plug them in. Or leave it on an extension lead until a sparky get get round and sort it out. I still swap pumps and zone valves . Not sure about regs on this.

micky p said:
same here i just wire combi's onto a plug and plug them in. Or leave it on an extension lead until a sparky get get round and sort it out. I still swap pumps and zone valves . Not sure about regs on this.

So do I.....I think we are ok to swap like for like but I believe we are not allowed to alter or add anything to an existing electrical circuit.That`s my understanding.

IIRC there is a grade of qualification called "in support of main trade" which I think means, e.g. you can put in a new FCU for your boiler.

JohnD said:
IIRC there is a grade of qualification called "in support of main trade" which I think means, e.g. you can put in a new FCU for your boiler.

IIRC, FCU, anyone get any of that?

tee hee, you're in a humourous mood today Bamber :LOL:

JohnD said:
tee hee, you're in a humourous mood today Bamber :LOL:

I`m not actually, like I don`t understand `inch & a half waste` or `three quarter waste` or `half inch to fifteen mill male iron` either make it imperial or metric, what`s a 36x18 cylinder? we are in the frikkin dark ages & I`m getting confused.

I know 32mm waste. I know 40mm waste, I don`t know why all iron fittings are referred to as being in inches. Keep it frikkin` metric I say, give the young `uns a chance.

Bamber gaspipe said:
So do I.....I think we are ok to swap like for like but I believe we are not allowed to alter or add anything to an existing electrical circuit.That`s my understanding.

Spot on with what your understanding :rolleyes: however as a boiler is a fixed appliance it should be hard wire and not on a plug and flex.when the spark rewires it to the fuse control unit you should then have to go back and ensure it complies with the MI cos the spark wont give a hoot.

The addition of an FCU would need a minor works certificate so to carry out this task you would need to be part p registered with level C.

CORGI told me we have to record at least the earth loop impedance every time we work on the sparky side of a heating system

Can any recommend a cheap ELI tester thingy

sorry if i got a bit technical there

;)

Megger do the combined tester which does low reding ohm, insulation resistance and psc and pfc.(so will cover earth fault impedance) This tester will do all you need.£450ish
Robin do seperate testers but they are about £350 apiece.
Calibration is req'd yearly cant give accurate price but my 3 robins came back at £45 each.
Lee

no way our gaffer is going to by us all one of those :eek: tight get that he is

anything cheaper?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back