Query regarding work carried out

Stargazer: The sockets as are follows:

1) 5 x two gang
2) Three spurs - ignition (for hob), oven and extractor
3) For the isolation switch he told me to purchase a 1 Gang 45A DP Switch, which I have done.

I'm going to presume he knows what he's doing, unless I'm told otherwise, and I presume that since he is NICEIC qualified/registered, that it would affect him directly if he's done something against regulations/dangerous?

Sponsored Links
Given his membership of a professional body like NICEIC you are entitled to expect that he knows what he's doing and that his work is in compliance with the wiring regulations.
I am a DIY house basher, not a spark. However I think it is unusual that he’s asked you to purchase accessories for the second fix – he really should be taking care of that himself, especially for something as critical as a circuit isolation switch, the reason for which still escapes me…

Holm: yes, one of the switches is for the hob ignition to be isolated, and there is a separate one for the oven - the other one is, as the electrician said, to turn off the power to the kitchen in its entirety (not the lights).

Stargazer: The additional switches purchased are a fused spur with neon (for hob), and a 45A double pole switch with neon (to isolate all the sockets). The oven already has a 45A two gang socket fascia...I had previously ordered the fascias that I wanted, and therefore wanted the extra ones to match - so ordered them from the same place. I asked the electrician to double check that they were the right ones before I ordered them, and he confirmed they were. He said it was standard practise to install an isolation switch.

Sponsored Links
Ah, I see.
If there were particular fascias you wanted installed then it is reasonable that you should provide them, which you have done with the approval of your spark.
Hopefully all will now be well with the world ;)

Hopefully!

Well, I have another quick query - is it normal to charge extra for a spur?

I've got two, one for the hob ignition and one for the oven - and he has charged me £75 per spur - plus £55 for the other socket - which, effectively means, a cost of £130 to fit an appropriate connection for the hob, and another £130 to fit an appropriate connection for the oven. This only occurred to me when I looked at his bill, as my expectation from what he said was that those two connections would cost £20 more than an ordinary one would - ie £75 each, rather than £55.

This suddenly strikes me as being wrong, as he couldn't fit one point without the other, so to quote (knowing what he was quoting for) and then at the point of fixing say "you need an extra point for each and they'll be £20 more", only for the bill to come in and they are actually £75 more doesn't sound right...

Maybe I'm overthinking this stuff too much!

Maybe.
It would have been useful to have obtained a written estimate or quote before he started the work rather than rely on "my expectation from what he said". The making good issue should also have been clarified in writing from the start.
I get the impression your electrician may be a little inexperienced and "cutting his teeth" on this job?

The difficulty is that I normally do everything in writing when it comes to having work carried out. Out of the three electricians that quoted for the work, this one was my preference, but he didn't actually get a quote to me, he said he'd sent it by text, but I didn't receive it. So I initially engaged another electrician, however they were unable to fit the work in on the days I was available...so I re-listed the work. This electrician then called me and said he would price-match and was available to do the work on the days I wanted. Unfortunately, due to time being tight by that stage, I went ahead without asking him to put everything in writing. My mistake, not one I usually make, and certainly not one I'd make again.

That said, I don't think that I should be over-charged or cheated on the basis of there being no written contract. He knows what he said, and I know what he said, and having looked at his bill, he has listed it as fitting seven sockets - he fitted five, plus the oven and hob connections, plus the isolation switch - the original plan was for him to also fit another socket plus the light switch, which he didn't do. Perhaps he has charged for them based on the original request, in other words, for two things he didn't do - and that is how I shall approach him with regards to it, simply state he hasn't fitted two of them, but has charged me anyway - that way he has to state precisely what he's charged for and I get to say "that's not the price you quoted", which it wasn't.

It's a shame really as surely a lot of electrical work comes from satisfied customers recommending electricians to others they know.

Quote by text :eek:
That's a new one on me, but I am behind with the times.

Verbal contracts are just as enforceable in law as contracts in writing, but obviously having an agreement in writing leaves much less room for dispute about what was agreed. Hopefully you will resolve your differences amicably, because it simply would not be worth suing your electrician over the amounts involved.

a lot of electrical work comes from satisfied customers recommending electricians to others they know.

In my view personal recommendation has to be the first port of call when engaging any sort of tradesman, because as you have discovered membership of a professional body does not guarantee a professional job will be done. I don't suppose you will be recommending this spark to your friends and family, and that is his loss.

I know verbal contracts are also enforceable, but it would be him having to sue me, not the other way around, as I still retain 25%+ of his fee and it is that which I would withhold...

I expect to resolve it amicably, with him either adequately explaining the costs (and also why he insisted I needed an isolation switch when I have now categorically been told it is not necessary as the consumer unit (which he fitted!) has already isolated the kitchen from the rest of the electrics)...or him accepting that he's overcharged and reducing the remaining bill accordingly.

I wouldn't recommend him at this stage...but if he resolves the issues to my satisfaction that might be a different matter - but I'd forewarn anyone to ensure they got everything in writing and to double check his work as he went along...just to be on the safe side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back